Whitney Houston Died of Prescription Drugs and Alcohol, Family Reportedly Told

Whitney Houston Died of Prescription Drugs and Alcohol, Family Reportedly Told
Following pop sensation Whitney Houston's tragic death this weekend, reports circulated that she had been found in the bath, causing many to speculate that she had drowned after falling asleep. Now, new information suggests that she may have actually died from a mix of prescription drugs and alcohol.

TMZ reports that the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office has told Houston's family that she died due to mixing Xanax and other prescription drugs with alcohol. Evidently there was not enough water in her lungs to suggest drowning, meaning that she passed away before becoming submerged.

Sources also told TMZ that Houston was found by her aunt Mary Jones. Toxicology tests are likely to take several weeks, so the official cause of death won't be confirmed until then.

New York Daily News adds that drugs found on the scene include Valium, Xanax, Lorazepam, ibuprofen, Midol, Amoxicillin, and another unnamed sleeping pill.

Below, relive one of Whitney's finest musical moments in the form of the video for "How Will I Know."

UPDATE: In the wake of Houston's death, ex-husband Bobby Brown has issued the following statement: "I am deeply saddened at the passing of my ex-wife, Whitney Houston. At this time, we ask for privacy, especially for my daughter, Bobbi- Kristina. I appreciate all of the condolences that have been directed towards my family and I at this most difficult time."