Published Apr 11, 2011Since the White Stripes announced their breakup, we've seen a pile of archival releases from the garage rock duo, namely reissues of LPs and singles (and let's not forget last year's massive box set). Next, Third Man Records will be dropping a live album and DVD, plus a seven-inch bringing together two of Jack and Meg's earliest recordings.
A new post on the label's blog revealed that the latest package from its Vault subscription series will include Live in Mississippi. This is a recording of the band's last-ever show (not including that 2009 Late Night with Conan O'Brien performance).
The label explains, "With the local geography looming large on their minds, the set list is decidedly heavy on the blues and features covers of songs by Robert Johnson, Son House and Leadbelly." It will come on two 180-gram vinyl records.
There's also a DVD called Under Moorhead Lights All Fargo Night. It was filmed on June 13, 2000, at Ralph's Corner Bar in Moorhead, MN. This came shortly after the release of then-obscure sophomore LP De Stijl and only a handful of people were in the audience. It is from the group's first extended tour across the U.S., and includes covers of Dolly Parton, Iggy Pop and Blind Willie McTell.
Lastly, the White Stripes will put out a seven-inch with covers of Love's "Signed DC" and Otis Redding's "I've Been Loving You to Long." It was originally recorded in September 1997, just two months after the band's live debut and eight months before their first single. According to the label, "This recording shows how fully-formed the general idea, aesthetic and approach of the White Stripes was from the very start."
This package is only available to subscribers to the Vault, so go to Third Man's website to sign up. The tracklists are below.
Live in Mississippi:
1. "Stop Breaking Down" (Robert Johnson cover)
2. "Let's Build a Home"
3. "When I Hear My Name"
4. "Icky Thump"
5. "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground/As Ugly As I Seem"
6. "The Same Boy You've Always Known"
7. "Wasting My Time"
8. "Phonograph Blues" (Robert Johnson cover)
9. "Cannon/John the Revelator" (traditional cover)
10. "Death Letter" (Son House cover)
12. "Apple Blossom"
13. "You Don't Know What Love Is (You Do As You're Told)"
14. "In the Cold, Cold Night"
15. "I Want to Be the Boy to Warm Your Mother's Heart"
16. "Hotel Yorba"
17. "A Martyr for My Love for You"
18. "Ball and Biscuit"
19. "300 MPH Torrential Outpour Blues"
20. "Blue Orchid"
21. "I'm Slowly Turning into You"
22. "Boll Weevil"
Under Moorhead Lights All Fargo Night:
1. "Let's Shake Hands"
3. "Wasting My Time"
4. "Jolene" (Dolly Parton cover)
5. "Little Bird"
6. "Apple Blossom"
7. "You're Pretty Good Looking (for a Girl)"
8. "Your Southern Can is Mine" (Blind Willie McTell cover)
9. "Suger Never Tasted So Good"
10. "Truth Doesn't Make a Noise"
11. "I'm Bored" (Iggy Pop cover)
12. "Cannon/John the Revelator" (traditional cover)