Published Aug 27, 2008I was a little surprised when my posting of a mixtape by Rio de Janeiro's the Twelves attracted so many readers. They were relatively unknown to me when I wrote it but it appears the duo of João Miguel and Luciano Oliveira have quite the online following, since 30 Minutes of the Twelves was in our monthly top ten of most read Click Hears.
It's because of that reason, and because this new one is just as tasty, that I've decided to feature them again. And really, how many DJs can turn a cut from In Rainbows into a choice disco track?
Again, Miguel and Oliveira include some remixes and edits of theirs, including the Radiohead one, as well as the Virgins, Lykke Li, and a bold attempt at throwing in the breezy folk of Fleet Foxes, who normally shouldn't be within 100 metres of a mix like this, but in their own perverse way, the soft melodies are solid enough to withstand a heavy electro glide. And, of course, Daft Punk and Metronomy are in there for good, reliable measure, as well as a cut by the Twelves, which is just the kind of slick, synth-heavy retro dance number you'd expect them to drop. Predictable? Yes, but also hopefully a sign they'll give Hot Chip a run for their money.
Here's the tracklisting:
1. Zeigeist -" Humanitarianism (The Twelves Replay)"
2. Radiohead - "Reckoner (The Twelves Replay)"
3. Mirwais - "Naive Song"
4. Of Montreal - "Gronlandic Edit"
5. David E. Sugar - "To Yourself"
6. The Virgins - "Rich Girls (The Twelves Replay)"
7. Daft Punk - "Voyager"
8. Jupiter - "Chip"
9. Fleet Foxes - "White Winter Hymnal (The Twelves Replay)"
10. Metronomy - "Heartbreaker"
11. The Twelves - "Works for Me (The Twelves Replay)"
12. Lykke Li - "Dance Dance Dance (The Twelves Replay)"
The Twelves Episode II