Taylor Swift Gives Kesha $250,000 in Support of Legal Battle Against Dr. Luke

Taylor Swift Gives Kesha $250,000 in Support of Legal Battle Against Dr. Luke
Photo: Rick Clifford
Photo by Rick Clifford / Courtesy of Kesha's Instagram
On Friday (February 19), a judge denied pop star Kesha release from her recording contract with Sony and producer Dr. Luke, who Kesha previously accused of emotionally, physically and sexually abusing her. Prominent figures from the pop music industry took to Twitter to show their support for the singer (born Kesha Sebert) over the weekend, and now, adding to the 140-character messages of encouragement, Taylor Swift has now contributed six figures.
 
"In a show of support, Taylor Swift has donated $250,000 to Kesha to help with any of her financial needs during this trying time," said a spokesperson for Swift.
 
Swift has yet to speak out on the issue through her own social media pages, though many other high-profile women in music have made public declarations of support for Sebert.
Before the ruling late last week, Kesha shared the following message, thanking her followers for their ongoing support:
As it stands, Kesha currently remains under contract to Dr. Luke's Kemosabe label, an imprint of Sony Music. The parent company released a statement on the latest court ruling, which reads: "Our interest is in [Kesha's] success. Our interest is in Dr. Luke's success. They are not in the least bit mutually exclusive."

UPDATE (02/22, 12:50 p.m.): In response to the growing controversy, Dr. Luke's lawyer Christine Lepara has released the following statement:

The New York County Supreme Court on Friday found that Kesha is already "free" to record and release music without working with Dr. Luke as a producer if she doesn't want to. Any claim that she isn't "free" is a myth. The sound decision Friday by the Court in denying Kesha's motion for an injunction made it clear Kesha's allegations of purported abuse were unconvincing and that she had no basis to void record contracts and copyrights. Dr. Luke and his companies invested in Kesha's success through their contributions, Sony Music has already spent over $11 million promoting Kesha, and Sony Music and its label Kemosabe Records are committed to continuing to promote her work.

More significantly, the Court also noted multiple times that her vague abuse allegations were devoid of factual detail, and that there was no evidence, whether from doctors or anyone else, to support them.

Tellingly, Kesha never reported any purported abuse or rape to any law enforcement authority, or even to Sony Music, and further swore under oath in another matter, while accompanied by her team of lawyers, that it never occurred. The goal of Kesha's counsel throughout has been to obtain a more lucrative contract through a shameless campaign of outrageous claims they will never stand behind in a court of law.

As Dr. Luke has said repeatedly, the allegations against him are outright lies that have been advanced to extort a contract renegotiation and money. Kesha and her counsel have cavalierly subjected Dr. Luke and his family to trial by Twitter, using a vicious smear campaign to ruin his reputation for financial gain while failing to support their claims. Kesha to date has never verified the allegations in this case  — even when given the opportunity in her affidavit. Nor has she ever offered a credible explanation as to why she would have signed a second recording agreement, recorded two albums and an EP and signed a publishing deal with Dr. Luke after allegedly being sexually abused. It will further be shown that the incidents alleged never happened.