Published Feb 08, 2013Following some killer 20th anniversary celebrations in 2008, legendary Seattle indie imprint Sub Pop has announced plans for its 25th anniversary, including a new comp called Sub Pop 1000, modelled after the iconic Sub Pop 100 cassette. The original tape, which featured tracks from Sonic Youth, Shonen Knife, Skinny Puppy and the U-Men, arrived in 1986.
A press release notes that the label will issue the limited-edition vinyl LP this Record Store Day (April 20), and the platter is said to feature exclusive tracks from "some of today's most vital artists from around the world." These include California electro-dub explorers Peaking Lights, U.S. West Coast hardcore crew Iron Lung, Buenos Aires' Chancha Via Circuito and Australia's My Disco.
The record will be pressed in a run of 5,000 "on some dazzling color of vinyl that we have yet to figure out," and will also come packaged with an 11x11 booklet and a download code. It will be available digitally as well. You can check the tracklisting down below and the cover art above.
Continuing with their celebrative spirit, Sub Pop has also announced plans for a free concert called "The Silver Jubilee" to take place July 13 in Seattle's Georgetown neighbourhood. The party will feature live bands, though those details have yet to arrive. The event will also include an art show and record fair.
Sub Pop 1000:
1. His Electro Blue Voice "Kidult" (Bologna, IT)
2. Chancha Via Circuito "Lacandona" (Buenos Aires, AR)
3. Protomartyr "French Poet" (Detroit, MI)
4. Lori Goldston "Tangled North" (Seattle, WA)
5. Iron Lung "A Victory for Polio" (Seattle, WA; San Francisco, CA)
6. Soldiers of Fortune "Money" (Brooklyn, NY)
7. Peaking Lights "Subterranean Brainblow" (Los Angeles, CA)
8. Ed Schrader's Music Beat "Radio Eyes" (Baltimore, MD)
9. My Disco "Guided" (Melbourne, AU)
10. Starred "Doomed" (Los Angeles, CA)