While Stephen King is best known as a mega-famous horror novelist, he's also got a strong interest in music, having played guitar in the literary supergroup the Rock Bottom Remainders. He recently teamed up with rock legend John Mellencamp and folk producer T-Bone Burnett for the Southern gothic musical Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, the soundtrack for which will get an in-store release on March 19 through Hear Music/Concord Music Group.
All of the songs on the soundtrack were written by Mellencamp, and they are performed by big-name singers like Elvis Costello, Neko Case, Sheryl Crow, Kris Kristofferson, Rosanne Cash and Taj Mahal. There will also be dialogue excerpts by Matthew McConaughey, Samantha Mathis and Meg Ryan.
The bluesy, rootsy soundtrack will be available as a standard CD version containing the songs, dialogue excepts and King's complete libretto. There will also be a double-CD/single-DVD version containing two versions of the soundtrack (with and without dialogue), lyrics, deluxe artwork, the libretto and a mini documentary about the making of Ghost Brothers. There will also be digital editions.
The musical premiered in Atlanta earlier this year. The production's website describes it like this:
"Set in the tiny town of Lake Belle Reve, Mississippi, the Ghost Brothers' story centres on two sets of brothers: the ghosts of Jack and Andy, dead in an apparent murder/suicide, and their nephews, the living Frank and Drake, who seem to be headed toward the same downward spiral as their uncles. Joe, younger brother of Jack and Andy, father of Frank and Drake, has decided it's time to reveal his own terrible secret at the site of the tragedy, before it's too late."
Scroll past the tracklist to watch a trailer for the stage version.
Ghost Brothers of Darkland County:
1. Elvis Costello - "That's Me"
2. Neko Case - "That's Who I Am"
3. Dave Alvin, Phil Alvin, Sheryl Crow - "So Goddamn Smart"
4. Elvis Costello - "Wrong, Wrong, Wrong About Me"
5. Ryan Bingham, Will Dailey - "Brotherly Love"
6. Kris Kristofferson - "How Many Days"
7. Ryan Bingham - "You Are Blind"
8. Sheryl Crow, Dave Alvin, Phil Alvin, Taj Mahal - "Home Again"
9. Rosanne Cash - "What's Going on Here"
10. Clyde Mulroney - "My Name Is Joe"
11. Taj Mahal - "Tear This Cabin Down"
12. Sheryl Crow, Dave Alvin, Phil Alvin - "And Your Days Are Gone"
13. Sheryl Crow - "Jukin'"
14. Kris Kristofferson, Phil Alvin, Sheryl Crow Dave Alvin, Taj Mahal - "What Kind Of Man Am I"
15. Phil Alvin, Dave Alvin, Sheryl Crow - "So Goddamn Good"
16. Sheryl Crow - "Away from This World"
17. John Mellencamp - "Truth"