Published Oct 04, 2011While we're still waiting for news about the National-curated album of Grateful Dead covers, here's another charity compilation for us to tide ourselves over with. Entitled Cool for School: For the Benefit of the Lunchbox Fund, it will be out digitally on October 11 and features a variety of artists performing covers with a school theme.
The most high-profile contributor is Bright Eyes, who teamed with Sweden's First Aid Kit to cover the White Stripes' back-to-school ditty "We're Going to Be Friends" (which here is listed as "I Can Tell We're Gonna Be Friends"). Other contributors include Albert Hammond Jr. of the Strokes covering Big Star, and Alexander (of Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros) performing what appears to be the collection's only original song.
The compilation was put together by the Gift Horse Project and Manimal Vinyl. Proceeds go towards the Lunchbox Fund, a non-profit organization that aims to provide daily meals for in high schools in South Africa.
See the tracklist below; a post on Manimal Vinyl's blog notes that this may not be the final order. Head to Pitchfork to listen to Bright Eyes' take on "Were Going to Be Friends."
Cool for School: For the Benefit of the Lunchbox Fund:
1. Bright Eyes (feat. First Aid Kit) - "I Can Tell We're Gonna Be Friends" (White Stripes)
2. Jenny O. - "The Happiest Days of Our Lives/Another Brick in the Wall" (Pink Floyd)
3. Gabe Saporta (Cobra Starship) & Louis Epsterin (Jump into the Gospel) - "Future's So Bright" (Timbuk 3)
4. Albert Hammond Jr. (The Strokes) - "Thirteen" (Big Star)
5. Alexander (Edward Sharpe) - "Teacher/Student"
6. Joseph Arthur - "Rockin' in the Free World" (Neil Young)
7. Luke Rathborne - "I Hate My School" (Redd Kross)
8. Fences - "School" (Nirvana)
9. Angela McCluskey - "We Rule The School" (Belle & Sebastian)
10. Rain Phoenix & Jonathan Wilson - "Coat of Many Colors" (Dolly Parton)
11. Craig Werden + Pink Ape (Shudder to Think) - "Headmaster's Ritual" (The Smiths)