Published Nov 16, 2009It's kind of shocking to think that Broken Social Scene's break-out album You Forgot It in People was released seven full years ago. Since then, the band have enjoyed a remarkable career, but they're not the only ones. Paper Bag Records, who co-released the album with Arts & Crafts, has also flourished since then.
Now with 49 releases, not to mention a plethora of digital-only and limited-vinyl efforts, the Toronto-based label has built a strong, sturdy stable of musical talent. It's great news then that to celebrate Paper Bag's seven-year anniversary - and spread some early Christmas cheer - the label has employed its varied roster to contribute cover songs to a free digital compilation.
The collection is appropriately dubbed The Seven Year Itch, and is available now from the label. Whether it's CFCF taking on the OMC cheese fest "How Bizzare," Winter Gloves trying their hands at "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or Slim Twig revamping Outkast, there's plenty of interesting material to be heard. Hell, the Acorn even cover Gowan.
The official Paper Bag birthday party is happening with You Say Party! We Say Die! and Little Girls at the Phoenix in Toronto on November 20, so be sure to get out there and heckle the bands for some covers.
Seven Year Itch can be downloaded free of charge here.
Seven Year Itch:
1. CFCF "How Bizarre" (OMC cover)
2. Winter Gloves "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (Nirvana cover)
3. Woodhands "Electric Avenue" (Eddy Grant cover)
4. Sally Shapiro "Dying in Africa" (Nicolas Makelberge cover)
5. You Say Party! We Say Die! "Falling Out" (Rick Agnew cover)
6. Josh Reichmann "Daniel" (Bat For Lashes cover)
7. Laura Barrett "Gamma Ray" (Beck cover)
8. Rock Plaza Central "I Want You" (Bob Dylan cover)
9. The Acorn "Strange Animal" (Gowan cover)
10. Little Girls "Heinz" (Artery cover)
11. Slim Twig "Behold A Lady" (Outkast cover)
12. Under Byen "Du er min øjesten" (Peter Malberg cover)