Published Nov 01, 2013Following guitarist Slim Dunlap's stroke in early 2012, the Replacements reunited and recorded the benefit EP Songs for Slim for their former bandmate. This spawned a series of split 7-inch records, and soon those tracks will be compiled (along with some extra cuts) for a two-CD compilation. Rockin' Here Tonight: A Benefit Compilation for Slim Dunlap will be out on November 12 via New West Records.
The first disc contains 18 songs, all of which are Dunlap covers that came out as part of the aforementioned singles series. Among the contributors here are the Replacements, Jeff Tweedy of Wilco, Steve Earle, Craig Finn of the Hold Steady, Frank Black of the Pixies, the Minus 5, Lucinda Williams, Jakob Dylan and one-time Replacements member Chris Mars.
The second disc, on the other hand, contains 10 unreleased bonus cuts (seven of them Dunlap covers). These come from the likes of Chris Mars, Soul Asylum, the Jayhawks (under the pseudonym LP.ORG), the Young Fresh Fellows and more.
The CD comes with a 16-page booklet by original Replacements manager Peter Jesperson.
Slim's wife Chrissie said in a statement:
His comfort has been interrupted by many trips to the hospital, but his will to live is strong. His mantra is 'Fight, fight, fight.' All of us who love him are fighting with, and for, him. His strength, along with the love and support of so many wonderful friends and fans, has kept him going.
Slim is so grateful for the Songs for Slim project and takes great joy in listening to his songs performed by some of his favourite musicians and friends. The revenue from the project has saved us from financial ruin, enabled us to hire nursing help and therapists, and helped to make him as comfortable as possible. Slim and the family send our love and gratitude to New West and everyone involved in the project, and everyone who bought a song for Slim. Special thanks to our long time friend, Peter Jesperson, who worked tirelessly to produce Songs for Slim, and to whom we are eternally grateful.
So far, the Songs for Slim series has raised almost $200,000. This has gone to help care for the bid-ridden Dunlap.
Rockin' Here Tonight: A Benefit Compilation for Slim Dunlap:
CD 1 - The 45s:
1. The Replacements - "Busted Up"
2. Chris Mars - "Radio Hook Word Hit"
3. Steve Earle - "Times Like This"
4. Craig Finn & Friends - "Isn't It?"
5. Lucinda Williams - "Partners in Crime"
6. Tommy Keene - "Nowheres Near"
7. The Minus 5 ft. Curtiss A - "Rockin' Here Tonight"
8. Tim O'Reagan & Jim Boquist - Cozy"
9. Jakob Dylan - "Ain't No Fair (In a Rock 'n' Roll Love Affair)"
10. Joe Henry - "Taken on the Chin"
11. John Doe - "Just for the Hell of It"
12. Deer Tick + Scott Lucas + Vanessa Carlton - "From the Git Go"
13. Frank Black & the Suicide Commandos - "The King & Queen"
14. You Am I - "Ain't Exactly Good"
15. Patterson Hood - "Hate This Town"
16. The Young Fresh Fellows - "Loud Loud Loud Loud Guitars"
17. Jeff Tweedy - "The Ballad of the Opening Band"
18. Lucero - "From the Git Go"
CD 2 - Unreleased Bonus Tracks:
1. Peter Holsapple - "Laugh It Up (It's All a Big Joke Anyway)"
2. John Eller - "Girlfiend"
3. Soul Asylum - "Little Shiva's Song"
4. The Young Fresh Fellows - "Slim's Place"
5. Bee, Louie & Brien - "Two By Two"
6. Chris Mars - "When I Fall Down"
7. Chan Poling - "Chrome Lipstick"
8. Frankie Lee - " Times Like This"
9. LP.ORG - "The Ballad of the Opening Band"
10. The West Saugerties Ale & Quail Club feat. John Sebastian - "Love Lost"