Published May 28, 2010This July, !K7 sub-label Strut Records will release Jungle Music, a compilation album in tribute to disco-edit trailblazer Walter Gibbons, who in the 1970s, developed a DJ and production style that heavily influenced the next generation of dance music.
The compilation will drop July 20, and will include a host of Gibbons's best edits from the disco era, including his reworkings of songs by Sandy Mercer, Arts & Craft and Gladys Knight, not to mention a previously unreleased mix of Arthur Russell's "See Through." Jungle Music also includes a number of Gibbons's early '80s, post-disco edits such as that of Harlequin Four's "Set It Off."
Live, Gibbons often performed remixes by cutting between two copies of the same record at the same time, while in the studio, he would use a reel-to-reel tape player to cut, edit and extend short pop songs into club hits. His penchant for adding thumping, often tribal-sounding drums, led to his sound being dubbed "jungle music," after which the compilation has been named.
1. Jakki - "Sun... Sun... Sun..." (Walter Gibbons Original 12-inch Edit)
2. Double Exposure - "Ten Percent" (Walter Gibbons 12-inch Mix)
3. TC James & the Fist O'Funk Orchestra - "Get Up On Your Feet (Keep On Dancin')" (Walter Gibbons Mix)
4. Gladys Knight - "It's a Better Than Good Time" (Walter Gibbons 12-inch Mix)
5. Salsoul Orchestra - "Magic Bird of Fire" (Fire Bird Suite)
6. Sandy Mercer - "You Are My Love" (12-inch Version)
7. Bettye Lavette - "Doin' the Best That I Can" (Walter Gibbons 12-inch Mix)
1. Arthur Russell - "See Through" (Walter Gibbons Mix)
2. Dinosaur L - "Go Bang" (Walter Gibbons Unreleased Mix)
3. Strafe - "Set It Off" (Walter Gibbons 12-inch Mix)
4. Arts & Craft - "I've Been Searching" (Walter Gibbons 12-inch Mix)
5. Luv You Madly Orchestra - "Moon Maiden" (12-inch Mix)
6. Stetsasonic - "4 Ever My Beat" (Beat Bongo Mix)
7. Harlequin Fours - "Set It Off" (US 12-inch Version)