Published Jul 31, 2013The Red Hot Organization is known for raising cash and awareness in the battle against AIDS by putting together star-studded compilations. The latest of these is Red Hot + Fela, which will drop on October 8 through Knitting Factory Records.
The album brings together covers of songs by Nigerian music icon Fela Kuti, who died of an AIDS-related illness in 1997. Among the artists featured here are My Morning Jacket, tUnE-yArDs, Alabama Shakes singer Brittany Howard, Childish Gambino, TV on the Radio members Kyp Malone and Tunde Adebimpe, Chance the Rapper, Zaki Ibrahim, the Roots' mouthpiece Questlove and more.
The compilation has been in the works for some time now; the album cut "Lady" (featuring Questlove, tUnE-yArDs and others) was released more than a year ago. Stream that track below.
A press release notes. "Although Fela inspired each and every artist on the album, Afrobeat is not necessarily the musical meat-and-potatoes for most of these musicians, thus presenting challenging responsibilities in recreating Fela's work." Influences that emerge on the compilation include R&B, hip-hop, electro-house.
Back in 2002, Red Hot released Red Hot + Riot: The Music and Spirit of Fela Kuti, which was also inspired by the Afrobeat master.
Red Hot + Fela:
1. Baloji & L'Orchestre de la Katuba ft. Kuku - "Buy Africa"
2. tUnE-yArDs, Questlove, Angelique Kidjo & Akua Naru - "Lady"
3. Spoek Mathambo & Zaki Ibrahim - "Yellow Fever"
4. Nneka, Sinkane, Amayo & Superhuman Happiness - "No Buredi"
5. Just a Band & Childish Gambino - "Who No Know Go No"
6. My Morning Jacket ft. Merrill Garbus & Brittany Howard - "Trouble Sleep Yanga Wake Am"
7. Kyp Malone and Tunde Adebimpe, Kronos Quartet & Stuart Bogie - "Sorrow Tears and Blood"
8. Superhuman Happiness ft. Sahr Ngaujah, Abena Koomson & Rubblebucket - "ITT"
9. Tony Allen, M1 & Baloji - "Afrodisco Beat 2013"
10. Just a Band, Bajah & Chance the Rapper - "Gentleman"
11. Gender Infinity - "Hi Life Time"
12. Spoek Mathambo, Cerebral Cortex & Frown - "Zombie"
13. King - "Go Slow"