Published Jun 21, 2011Talented but possibly off-his-rocker R&B crooner R. Kelly is in legal hot water once again. Luckily for the singer's public image, the latest court battle is of a decidedly more bureaucratic variety than his past child pornography charges. Today (June 21), R. Kelly's ex-manager Jeff Kwatinetz sued the star for a hefty $1 million.
As TMZ reports, the manager claims that he "guided Kelly through the recording of two new albums, substantial multi-million dollar tours ... a book deal, and a myriad of other appearances and events." Thanks to his hard work, Kwatinetz claims that "Kelly reaped millions of dollars."
The singer, however, has allegedly "failed and refused to pay" the 15 percent commission rate they agreed upon. Kwatinetz alleges that he was told that the money was needed "for payments to avoid lawsuits and adverse publicity." This apparently refers to those pesky sexual misconduct charges from 2008.
So far, Kelly isn't giving in to his ex-manager's claims. A representative for the singer said, "Mr. Kwatinetz is a disgruntled former manager who apparently feels the need to try to seek retribution for his discharge. It is particularly disturbing, given his job as a professional talent manager and trusted adviser, that he would feel the need to lash out and dish what he thinks is dirt against a former client. When the actual facts are presented, however, we are confident that his allegations will be found to be completely without merit."
If Kelly comes out on top in this lawsuit, we're hoping that he puts the money towards releasing those planned new chapters of Trapped in the Closet.