Published Nov 29, 2010While it's been two months since the BP oil well in the Gulf of Mexico was plugged up for good, the surrounding area is still dealing with the aftermath of the spill. Beaches are still stained with oil, while wildlife has felt a significant impact as well. Considering the region hasn't been in the media eye as much as it was a while back, a handful of bands are getting together to make sure we don't forget what happened via a new benefit compilation.
Titled Gasoline Rainbows, the set features some unreleased tunes courtesy of City and Colour and Damien Rice, as well as older jams from Phoenix, the National, Vampire Weekend, the Black Keys and LCD Soundsystem, among others. While we reported that City and Colour's Dallas Green has recorded his tribute to the gulf "At the Bird's Foot" earlier this year, this marks its official release.
Curated by One Tree Hill actors Sophia Bush and Austin Nichols, who visited the region and saw the devastation of the land first hand, the digital-only album also teams with eco-conscious company Global Green to give back to mother earth.
A press release explains, "One hundred percent of the artist and label proceeds from Gasoline Rainbows will be used for Global Green's oil spill response to directly assist the communities, people, and ecosystems impacted by the BP oil spill, educate the public, push for more regulation (to ensure a tragedy like this never happens again) and advocate for a greener, cleaner economy."
Gasoline Rainbows will be available as a digital download December 7 courtesy of Dine Alone. Check out the tracklist below.
1. Amy Kuney "Gasoline Rainbows" *
2. Phoenix "Armistice"
3. Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros "40 Day Dream"
4. Silversun Pickups "There's No Secret's This Year"
5. City and Colour "At The Birds Foot" *
6. Damien Rice "The Connoisseur of Great Excuse" *
7. The National "Bloodbuzz Ohio"
8. The Black Keys "Tighten Up"
9. Tegan and Sara "The Ocean"
10. Passion Pit "Moth's Wings"
11. Surfer Blood "Floating Vibes"
12. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club "Mama Taught Me Better"
13. LCD Soundsystem "I Can Change"
14. Vampire Weekend "Cousins"
* Previously unreleased