Published Apr 14, 2014Since funk veteran Nile Rodgers got a big boost last year via his appearance on Daft Punk's massive Random Access Memories, the best of the rest of his career is now getting saluted via a new collection dubbed Nile Rodgers: Chic & Beyond.
As that title alludes, the best-of set features a number of tracks from the '70s-formed disco-funk figures Chic, including their big hit "Le Freak," but the collection also serves to highlight Rodgers' "influence on popular music." This includes work he did with Sister Sledge ("We Are Family"), David Bowie ("Let's Dance") and Madonna ("Like A Virgin").
Other artists on the collection touched by the hand of Rodgers include Diana Ross, the B-52s, INXS, Duran Duran and the Sugar Hill Gang, whose iconic "Rapper's Delight" single was inspired by Chic's "Good Times," which is also included on the set. You'll find the tracklisting down below.
Shortly after Chic & Beyond hits store shelves May 6 through Warner Music Canada, the musician will head up to Toronto on May 9 to speak about his career for a Canadian Music Week Q&A session.
Nile Rodgers: Chic & Beyond:
1. Chic - "Dance Dance Dance"
2. Chic - "Le Freak"
3. Chic - "Everybody Dance"
4. Chic - "Good Times"
5. Sister Sledge - "We Are Family"
6. Sister Sledge - "Lost in Music"
7. Sister Sledge - "He's the Greatest Dancer"
8. Diana Ross - "Upside Down"
9. The Sugar Hill Gang - "Rapper's Delight"
10. David Bowie - "Let's Dance"
11. Duran Duran - "The Reflex"
12. The Spoons - "Old Emotions"
13. INXS - "Original Sin"
14. Madonna - "Like A Virgin"
15. Thompson Twins - "Hole Me Now"
16. the B-52s - "Roam"