Published Sep 20, 2012Earlier this year, Neneh Cherry teamed up with jazz troupe the Thing to rework a number of her favourite tunes on The Cherry Thing. Her covers of Suicide, the Stooges, Madvillain and more is about to get next-level, however, with news that a group of electronically geared musicians will be reinterpreting Cherry and the Thing's interpretations. The album name, naturally, will be The Cherry Thing Remixes.
The re-tweaked set arrives November 13 via Smalltown Supersound and will feature newly envisioned pieces from the likes of Four Tet, Jim O'Rourke, Lindstrøm & Prins Thomas, Hortlax (aka Peter Bjorn and John's John Eriksson), Japanese noisesmith Merzbow, and more.
While Cherry offered up Four Tet's remix of "Dream Baby Dream" (originally performed by Suicide) a couple of months ago, the singer is now unveiling Kim Hiorthøy's redo of Cherry and the Thing's version of Ornette Coleman's "What Reason Could I Give". You can stream the track down below, where you'll also find the tracklisting.
The Cherry Thing Remixes:
1. What Reason Could I Give (Kim Hiorthøy remix)
2. Dream Baby Dream (Four Tet remix)
3. Accordion (Hortlax Cobra remix)
4. What Reason Could I Give (Carmen Villain remix)
5. Accordion (Jim O'Rourke remix)
6. Cashback (Lindstrøm & Prins Thomas remix)
7. Sudden Moment (Merzbow remix)
8. Golden Heart (Nymph remix)
9. Dirt (Kurzmann remix)
10. Golden Heart (Poole Blount Legacy Dub)(Lasse Marhaug remix)