Published Jun 29, 2009Good friends are always there in times of need. In the case of singer/songwriter Mark Mulcahy, former leader of the '80s alt-rock band Miracle Legion, those good friends are some of indie rock's finest, including Michael Stipe, Thom Yorke, Frank Black, Vic Chesnutt, the National and Hayden.
Mulcahy's wife died last year and the financial strain of taking care of his young twin daughters has put his music career in jeopardy. Leave it to the Rhino Records-connected Shout! Factory, who will release a benefit album entitled Ciao My Shining Star: The Songs of Mark Mulcahy on September 29.
It will feature 21 all-exclusive tracks and include a line-up boasting a who's who of indie rock, proving Mulcahy's far-reaching effect on those artist named above and on bands like Dinosaur Jr., Mercury Rev, Ben Kweller and even Rocket from the Tombs, who all contribute covers of Mulcahy's songs on the tribute album.
And cool to see Frank Black on the benefit record, since Mulcahy contributed background vocals to Frank Black's "Don't Get Me Wrong" from his 2007 album, Christmass.
Stereogum is also reporting that we can expect the digital release of 20 additional Mulcahy-penned tracks from the likes of A.C. Newman, Buffalo Tom and Laura Veirs, as well as two benefit concerts, one in London and one in New York, which will coincide with the album's release.
Besides recording a handful of full-lengths with Miracle Legion in the late '80s and early '90s, Mulcahy was also in the side project Polaris, which served as the house band on the Nickelodeon TV series, The Adventures of Pete & Pete. He has also released three solo albums, the most recent being 2005's In Pursuit of Your Happiness.
Check out Mulcahy's own version of "Ciao My Shining Star" at his MySpace .
Here is the benefit album tracklisting:
1. Thom Yorke - "All for the Best"
2. The National - "Ashamed of the Story I Told"
3. Michael Stipe - "Everything's Coming Undone"
4. David Berkeley - "Love's the Only Thing That Shuts Me Up"
5. Dinosaur Jr. - "The Backyard"
6. Chris Harford and Mr. Ray Neal - "Micon the Icon"
7. Frank Black - "Bill Jocko"
8. Vic Chesnutt - "Little Man"
9. Unbelievable Truth - "Ciao My Shining Star"
10. Butterflies of Love - "I Have Patience"
11. Chris Collingwood of Fountains of Wayne - "Cookie Jar"
12. Frank Turner - "The Quiet One"
13. Rocket From the Tombs - "In Pursuit of Your Happiness"
14. Ben Kweller - "Wake Up Whispering"
15. Josh Rouse - "I Woke Up in the Mayflower"
16. Autumn Defense - "Paradise"
17. Hayden - "Happy Birthday Yesterday"
18. Juliana Hatfield - "We're Not in Charleston Anymore"
19. Mercury Rev - "Sailors and Animals"
20. Elvis Perkins - "She Watches Over Me"
21. Sean Watkins - "A World Away From This One"