Published Oct 26, 2010We all know that Michael Jackson has seen an explosion in popularity since his death last June, as his estate has raked in the dough with videogames, Cirque du Soleil shows and record deals. It's not surprising, then, that Forbes Magazine ranked the King of Pop at No. 1 on its list of the 13 top-earning dead celebrities. What is amazing, however, is how much more he earned than anyone else.
In the past year, Jackson earned $275 million. That's over $215 million more than runner up Elvis Presley, who earned $60 million. In fact, it's more than the total combined earnings of rest of the top 13, who together earned $229 million.
Other musicians on the list include John Lennon at No. 5 ($17 million), composer Richard Rodgers at No. 10 ($7 million), and Jimi Hendrix at No. 11 ($6 million).
Last year, Jackson came in at No. 3 on Forbes's top-earning dead celebrities list with $90 million. With new releases like a DVD box set on the way, expect Jackson to place high on the 2011 list as well.
See the full list below.
1. Michael Jackson - $275 million
2. Elvis Presley - $60 million
3. J.R.R. Tolkien - $50 million
4. Charles Schultz - $33 million
5. John Lennon - $17 million
6. Stieg Larsson - $15 Million
7. Theodor Geise (Dr. Seuss) - $11 million
8. Albert Einstein - $10 million
9. George Steinbrenner - $9 million
10. Richard Rodgers - $7 million
11. Jimi Hendrix - $6 million (tie)
11. Steve McQueen - $6 million (tie)
13. Aaron Spelling - $5 million