Published Feb 05, 2009As you may recall, this year marks Merge Records' 20th anniversary, and to celebrate, the label has embarked on quite the ambitious project. Dubbed SCORE!, it involves not only a big five-day festival in the illustrious imprint's home state of North Carolina, but also a rather massive box set, which includes a long list of celeb-curated mix CDs done by the likes of R.E.M.'s Peter Buck, David Byrne and author Jonathan Lethem. And while this subscription-only mega-set is no longer taking new orders, Merge has announced it wants everyone to play along through the new game "Make Your Own SCORE!"
What it involves is visiting the "Make Your Own SCORE!" forum on the label's message board and then making a list of your 20 favourite Merge songs that are available in the Merge digital store. The label will choose a winner at random and announce his or her name in the label's March newsletter. As the prize the winning participant will get a free Merge T-shirt (or tote bag) and will have the personalized comp up for grabs at the Merge shop. Fun, right?
To help get your mixtape juices flowing, we've picked one participant's playlist at random. Here it is:
1. Neutral Milk Hotel "Holland, 1945"
2. Spoon "Quincy Punk Episode"
3. Polvo "Tragic Carpet Ride"
4. Arcade Fire "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)"
5. Caribou "Melody Day"
6. Camera Obscura "Teenager"
7. Neutral Milk Hotel "King of Carrot Flowers Pts. 2&3"
8. The Essex Green "Elsinore"
9. The Magnetic Fields "Desert Island"
10. The Rosebuds "Boxcar"
11. Spoon "Believing is Art"
12. The Rock*A*Teens "Clarissa, Just Do It Anyway"
13. Destroyer "European Oils"
14. David Kilgour "The Perfect Watch"
15. The Clientele "Since K Got Over Me"
16. American Music Club "Ladies and Gentlemen"
17. The Clean "Point That Thing"
18. The Gothic Archies "The Abandoned Castle of My Soul"
19. Conor Oberst "Eagle on a Pole"
20. ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead "Mistakes and Regrets"
...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead "Mistakes and Regrets"