Published Feb 08, 2013Prolific noise rock gods the Melvins have been rolling out a bunch of split 12-inches of late, but the band are apparently bringing even more buddies onboard for their upcoming covers set Everybody Loves Sausages. The tributary LP arrives April 30 via longtime label Ipecac.
According to a press release, the 13-song set finds the act exploring a multitude of influences, with material stemming from the catalogues of everyone from David Bowie, the Kinks and Queen to black metal originators Venom and crushing industrial pioneers Throbbing Gristle.
"This record will give people a peak into the kind of things that influence us musically," Melvins leader/guitarist Buzz Osborne said in a statement. "We REALLY like all of these songs along with the bands who actually wrote this stuff because first and foremost we are HUGE music fans."
While the lineup of Osbourne, bassist Jared Warren, and drummers Dale Crover and Coady Willis figures heavily on the Everybody Loves Sausages tracklisting, the Melvins Lite lineup of Osbourne, Crover and Trevor Dunn tackle three tracks ("Female Trouble," "Timothy Leary Lives" and "Romance by Tales of Terror").
Additionally, the band brought out a number of friends for the recording, including Mudhoney's Mark Arm, who helped out on a cover of the Scientists' "Set It on Fire." Other guests include Neurosis' Scott Kelly, Blondie's Clem Burke, Jello Biafra and J.G. Thirlwell. You can see the details down below.
The Melvin had previously delivered their cover of "Black Betty" on a 7-inch with the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, who also took on the track, in 2011.
Everybody Loves Sausages:
1. Warhead (Venom cover) (ft. Scott Kelly of Neurosis)
2. Best Friend (Queen cover) (ft. Caleb Benjamin of Tweak Bird)
3. Black Betty (Original artist unknown)
4. Set It On Fire (The Scientists cover) (ft. Mark Arm)
5. Station To Station (David Bowie cover) (ft. J.G. Thirlwell)
6. Attitude (The Kinks cover) (ft. Clem Burke of Blondie)
7. Female Trouble (Divine/John Waters cover, performed as Melvins Lite)
8. Carpe Diem (The Fugs cover)
9. Timothy Leary Lives (Pop-O-Pies cover, performed as Melvins Lite)
10. In Every Dream Home A Heartache (Roxy Music cover) (ft. Jello Biafra and Kevin Rutmanis)
11. Romance (Tales of Terror cover, performed as Melvins Lite)
12. Art School (The Jam cover) (ft. Tom Hazelmyer)
13. Heathen Earth (Throbbing Gristle cover)