Published Mar 18, 2009When Lo Recordings released Milky Disco back in 2007, the comp easily served as a benchmark for the emerging cosmic disco scene, collecting tracks from the likes of Studio, Quiet Village and Sally Shapiro producer/svengali Johan Agebjörn. Now, just a few years later, the UK label will give the collection a much-deserved sequel, which promises to be a looser, more open-minded affair that, as Lo puts it, is all about "beats, textures, melodies and vibrations," as well as some very heady "exploratory space dance music."
Titled Milky Disco 2: Let's Go Freak Out, the double-disc/digital download package is set for release in the UK on May 18 and features a mix of exclusive tracks and "new underground classics," ranging from '80s West coast vibes to Italo disco, soul, industrial, ambient and avant-garde.
On the comp, the Italians Do It Better crew are well-represented and tracks are included from both Nite Jewel and Glass Candy, whose song "The Chameleon" gets a remix treatment courtesy of Johan Agebjörn. California beach-bum duo Windsurf and their solo projects, Hatchback and Sorcerer, make several appearances. And DFA engineer Eric "Babytalk" Broucek takes on "Don't Just Stand There" by Black Dice offshoot Soft Circle, while the previously unreleased track "Raining Patterns" comes courtesy of Montreal's increasingly promising CFCF, who also last week released a killer seven-inch on Acephale that's well worth checking out. Also on Milky Disco 2 are contributions from Black Mustang, Black Devil Disco Club, Ghost Note and Soft Rocks, among others.
Here is the complete tracklisting:
1. Hatchback - "Midnight Jogger"
2. Pollyester - "You Are Amen"
3. Secret Circuit - "Roll"
4. Ghost Note - "Pissed And Passed Out"
5. Chilled By Nature - "Otherness" (Black Mustang's Frozen Moon Jam)
6. Gatto Fritto - "Hungry Ghosts"
7. Lukas Nystrand and The Ageema Blues - "Knivar"
8. Soft Circle - "Don't Just Stand There" (Eric Broucek Mix)
9. Black Devil Disco Club - "Is Sorrow" (Brain Machine's Lucifer Rising Dub)
10. Glass Candy - "The Chameleon" (John Agebjorn Remix)
11. CFCF - "Raining Patterns"
1. Black Mustang / Kerrier District - "Life's A Gas" (Dub)
2. Soft Rocks - "Leave Your Earth Behind"
3. Pink Stallone - "New Fate"
4. Canyons - "Big City Lights"
5. Nite Jewel - "What Did He Say"
6. Expanding Head Band - "Sound of Breaking Glass"
7. Black Devil Disco Club - "Free For The Girls" (Richard Sen's Sumerian Fix)
8. Georges Vert - "Jovan Freak" (Rune Lindbaek's Nomaden Mix)
9. Chilled By Nature - "Otherness" (Windsurf's Golden Bear Dub)
10. Subway - "Crystalline"
11. Milky Globe / Sorcerer - "Soft Sea"