Published Nov 19, 2013Not only has alt-rock bass slapper Les Claypool been busy with Primus, he's also toured with his more rustic Duo de Twang. His first album with this project is called Four Foot Shack, and it's due out on February 4.
Initially conceived as a one-off gig for a bluegrass festival, the band are inspired by Django Reinhardt, hillbilly music from the '30s and '40s, and a camping trip Claypool took with his son. The album's 15 songs feature Claypool on bass and tambourine, and his friend Bryan Kehoe on guitar; Claypool's son makes a cameo on banjo.
"It's as dry and as close to just sitting in front of a microphone as you can get," Claypool told Rolling Stone. "Every now and again I have to remind myself, when all is said and done, the thing I do best — besides being a dad — the thing that people want to see me do, is stand up there and wiggle my fingers on that four string piece of furniture."
Four Foot Shack doesn't contain much in the way of original material, but there are versions of Primus favourites, Claypool solo tracks, Fearless Flying Frog Brigade tunes, and covers of the Bee Gees, Stompin' Tom Connors, Alice in Chains and more.
The tracklist is below. Scroll past that to hear the Duo de Twang version of "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver," which sounds very full-bodied despite being only a two-piece performance.
Four Foot Shack:
1. Four Foot Shack (Les Claypool's Duo de Twang)
2. Wynona's Big Brown Beaver (Primus)
3. Amos Moses (Jerry Reed)
4. Red State Girl (Les Claypool)
5. The Bridge Came Tumblin' Down (Stompin' Tom Connors)
6. Boonville Stomp (Les Claypool)
7. Stayin' Alive (Bee Gees)
8. Rumble of the Diesel (Les Claypool)
9. Pipe Line (The Chantays)
10. Buzzards of Greenhill (Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade)
11. Hendershot (Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade)
12. Man in the Box (Alice in Chains)
13. D's Diner (Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade)
14. Battle of New Orleans (Johnny Horton)
15. Jerry Was a Race Car Driver (Primus)