Published Dec 15, 2008Like most winters, the brass over at Kompakt are staying warm with another instalment in their Pop Ambient series. On February 16, the Cologne-based label will release the 2009 edition of the long-running series, keeping it low-key and laidback with another mix of Kompakt's "quiet music."
On the 12-track offering there are quite a few familiar faces, including regular contributors like Marsen Jules and Klimek, as well a few Pop Ambient newbies such as U.S. duo the Fun Years and Canada's Tim Hecker (whose freshly released collaboration with Aidan Baker, Fantasma Parastasie, found a recent spot on Exclaim!'s Destination Out year-end list). Also making appearances on Pop Ambient 2009 is Kompakt head Wolfgang Voigt, who contributes to two tracks alongside Jörg Burger and one under his long-dormant Mint moniker.
In other Voigt news, Mint isn't the only past handle he's resurrecting in the new year. As previously reported, on January 12 he'll gather up and reissue his Studio 1 recordings made back in the '90s, which are often credited as being "the root and origin of German minimal techno."
The full tracklisting for Pop Ambient 2009's modern minimal techno is as follows:
1. Klimek "True Enemies & False Friends (Yesteryears Suite)"
2. Sylvain Chauveau "Nuage Iii"
3. Mint "Hindemith"
4. Popnoname "Nightliner"
5. Sylvain Chauveau "Fly Like a Horse"
6. Jürgen Paape "Ausklang (Burger/Voigt Mix)"
7. Marsen Jules "It's Only Castles Burning"
8. Tim Hecker "Shosts"
9. Andrew Thomas "A Dream of a Spider"
10. Burger/Voigt "Frieden"
11. The Fun Years "I Am Speaking Through Barbara"
12. Klimek and Husak "The Godfather (For William Basinski & Snoop Dogg)"
2. Aidan Baker & Tim Hecker -"Phantom on a Pedestal"