Published Mar 05, 2012Despite serving as a backing vocalist in Neko Case's band, Kelly Hogan will soon be taking centre stage once again when she releases her new album, I Like to Keep Myself in Pain, on June 5 via her new label home of Anti-.
Although the album is technically a solo affair, that doesn't mean that Hogan didn't receive plenty of help from some high-profile collaborators. She only wrote one of the album's 13 songs herself (track No. 6 "Golden"), while all the rest were penned specifically for Hogan by an array of acts like Andrew Bird, the Magnetic Fields, Vic Chesnutt, M. Ward, Robyn Hitchcock and Handsome Family.
While these contributors don't actually appear on the album, Hogan's backing band includes Booker T. Jones and veteran session drummer James Gadson (Beck, B.B. King, Bill Withers).
According to a press release, the album is "an ambitious and moving labour of love" that lands in "the perfect intersection between classic pop, country and soul."
Hogan said in a statement, "This record is my history and all my acquired tools and these really amazing songs that people sent me. I'm just this person who loves music. And it's my life. And I hope that people love the songs as much as I do and I hope people will listen to them and make out to them."
Check out the tracklist below, and listen to the track "We Can't Have Nice Things," written by Jack Pendarvis and Andrew Bird, over at Pitchfork. Fun fact: the promo photo above was taken by Neko Case.
I Like to Keep Myself in Pain:
1. Dusty Groove (Catherine Irwin)
2. We Can't Have Nice Things (Jack Pendarvis and Andrew Bird)
3. I Like to Keep Myself in Pain (Robyn Hitchcock)
4. Haunted (Jon Langford)
5. Daddy's Little Girl (M. Ward)
7. Ways of This World (Vic Chesnutt)
8. Slumber's Sympathy (Gabriel Roth)
9. Plant White Roses (The Magnetic Fields)
10. Sleeper Awake (John Wesley Harding)
11. Green Willow Valley (Handsome Family)
12. Whenever You're Out of My Sight (Robbie Fulks)
13. Pass on By (Margaret Ann Rich)
3/27 Chicago, IL - Vic Theatre *
3/28 Iowa City, IA - Mission Creek Festival *
6/8 Evanston, IL - Space
6/9 Berwyn, IL - Fitzgerald's
* with the Magnetic Fields