Published May 14, 2013After Canadian folk icon Kate McGarrigle sadly succumbed to liver cancer in 2010, her musically inclined family members — sister Anna McGarrigle and children Rufus and Martha Wainwright — organized tribute concerts in London, Toronto and New York. In the coming months, those shows will be chronicled with a live album and a documentary film.
The album is called Sing Me the Songs, and it's due out on June 25 through Nonesuch. It was produced by Joe Boyd, who curated the gigs. Proceeds will benefit the Kate McGarrigle Foundation, which aims to assist sarcoma research and preserve McGarrigle's legacy.
The double-disc set includes highlights from the three cities, which amounts to 34 songs in all. In addition to McGarrigle's aforementioned family members, the big-name contributors include Broken Social Scene, Antony Hegarty, Norah Jones, Emmylou Harris, Jimmy Fallon and more. The album is available to pre-order from Nonesuch.
The New York tribute shows were filmed for the new documentary Sing Me the Songs That Say I Love You: A Concert for Kate McGarrigle. It was directed by Lian Lunson and produced by Lunson and Teddy Wainwright. It will premiere at the Brooklyn Academy of Music on June 25 before opening the next day (June 26) for an exclusive run at New York's Film Forum. There's no word regarding a wide release or DVD edition.
There will also be another tribute concert, "Kate's Kids," at the Brooklyn Academy of Music's Howard Gilman Opera House on June 26. It will feature Rufus and Martha Wainwright along with guests like Norah Jones, Emmylou Harris and Mark Ronson. Once again, proceeds will go to the Kate McGarrigle Foundation.
Sing Me the Songs:
1. Rufus Wainwright, Anna McGarrigle, Martha Wainwright - "Kiss and Say Goodbye"
2. Rufus Wainwright - "Southern Boys"
3. Norah Jones - "(Talk to Me of) Mendocino"
4. Rufus Wainwright, Anna McGarrigle, Emmylou Harris - "Entre la jeunesse et la sagesse"
5. Martha Wainwright - "Matapedia"
6. Rufus Wainwright and Emmylou Harris - "I Eat Dinner"
7. Jimmy Fallon - "Swimming Song"
8. Teddy Thompson - "Saratoga Summer Song"
9. Martha Wainwright - "Tell My Sister"
10. Krystle Warren - "I Don't Know"
11. Rufus Wainwright and Martha Wainwright - "First Born"
12 Emmylou Harris, Anna McGarrigle, Krystle Warren, Martha Wainwright, Lily Lanken - "Heart Like a Wheel"
13. Antony - "Go Leave"
14. Emmylou Harris and Norah Jones - "As Fast as My Feet Can Carry Me"
15. Rufus Wainwright - "Walking Song"
16. Kate McGarrigle, Sloan Wainwright, Martha Wainwright - "Proserpina"
1. Martha Wainwright and Rufus Wainwright - "I Am a Diamond"
2. Broken Social Scene - "Mother Mother"
3. Anna McGarrigle, Sylvan Lanken, Lily Lanken - "On My Way to Town"
4. Norah Jones with Lily Lanken - "Over the Hill"
5. Rufus Wainwright and Antony - "I Cried for Us"
6. Justin Vivian Bond - "The Work Song"
7. Jenni Muldaur - "Come Back Baby"
8. Rufus Wainwright - "Oliver"
9. Robert Charlebois and Anna McGarrigle - "Dans le silence"
10. Anna McGarrigle and Lily Lanken - "Jacques et Gilles"
11 Martha Wainwright - "All the Way to San Francisco"
12 Peggy Seeger - "Tell My Sister"
13 Chaim Tannenbaum - "Travelling on for Jesus"
14. Linda Thompson with Richard Thompson - "Go Leave"
15. Emmylou Harris - "Darlin' Kate"
16. Anna McGarrigle, Chaim Tannenbaum, Lily Lanken, Rufus Wainwright, Martha Wainwright - "Dink's Song"
17. Ensemble - "Love Over and Over"
18. Kate McGarrigle - "I Just Want to Make It Last"