Published Jun 15, 2012Over the course of its 30-year history, Olympia, WA's K Records has played a pivotal role in movements like riot grrrl and DIY pop, and has released music from a host of celebrated acts like Beck, Modest Mouse and Built to Spill. Soon, the iconic Pacific Northwest label's history will be chronicled by the book Love Rock Revolution: K Records and the Rise of Independent Music, which will arrive July 10 through Sasquatch Books.
Penned by Mark Baumgarten, the book features interviews with many key players from the label's history. An synopsis reads, "Love Rock Revolution tells the story of how it all happened, recounting the early journeys of K Records founder Calvin Johnson from the punk mecca of London to the hardcore clubs of Washington, D.C., in the late-'70s, the creation of K Records in the '80s, the label's role in revolutionizing independent music in the '90s, and its struggle to survive that revolution with its integrity intact."
To help tell the story, the label will be offering up a digital soundtrack of music to accompany the book. This isn't a greatest-hits collection, but as the label explains, "They are songs that help tell the story, showing the wide range of styles found on the label, introducing the many voices that make up this musical community and capturing the spirit of K in a way no amount of ink could."
Listen to a sampler here, and download it from Baumgarten's website between July 10 and 17.
See the tracklist below. While you wait for its release, go to the book's website to check out some old K Records-related clippings and photos. Also, you can read an excerpt over at City Arts Magazine.
Thanks to Pitchfork for the tip.
Love Rock Revolution: A Book Soundtrack:
1. Beat Happening - "Foggy Eyes"
2. The Beakers - "Red Towel"
3. The Few - "Rollin' Like the Tide"
4. Mecca Normal - "Smile Baby"
5. Beat Happening - "The This Many Boyfriends Club"
6. Some Velvet Sidewalk - "Loch Ness"
7. Girl Trouble - "Bring on the Dancing Girls"
8. Heavenly - "Starshy"
9. Rose Melberg - "My Day"
10. KARP - "Connect 5"
11. Tree People - "GRE"
12. Halo Benders - "Don't Touch my Bikini"
13. Lois [ft. Dub Narcotic Sound System] - "Ship to Shore"
14. Black Anger - "NON- Fiction"
15. D+ - "Don't Worry About Me"
16. The Microphones - "The Glow Pt 2"
17. IQU - "Yopparai"
18. Old Time Relijun - "Cold Water"
19. Calvin Johnson - "What Was Me"
20. Mirah - "The Garden"
21. LAKE - "Roger Miller"