Published Feb 17, 2010In his long and storied career, experimental art rock great Jim O'Rourke has explored the outer echelons of indie rock, electronic music, free jazz and anything in between, so it's rare for the musician to surprise us. However, he's regained our full attention with an ambitious tribute to 81-year-old lounge singer Burt Bacharach.
According to TwentyFourBit, O'Rourke has enlisted the help of numerous friends to collaborate on the record. Called All Kinds of People ~Love Burt Bacharach~, the album features guest spots from Thurston Moore, Wilco's Glenn Kotche, Boredom's Yoshimi, YMO's Haruomi Hosono and frequent O'Rourke collaborator Kahimi Karie, among others. There's even a track by former Bacharach collaborator Donna Taylor.
The album will be released in Japan on April 7 by AWDR. Following the release, O'Rourke will collaborate with some of the album's contributors for two live performances. If you're in the neighbourhood, they're taking place in Tokyo on April 15 and in Osaka on April 18.
All Kinds of People ~Love Burt Bacharach~:
1. Haruomi Hosono "Close To You"
2. Thurston Moore "Always Something There To Remind Me"
3. Jim O'Rourke "Anonymous Phone Call"
4. Akira Sakata and Masaya Nakahara "After The Fox"
5. Aoyama Youiti "You'll Never Get To Heaven"
6. Kahimi Karie "Do You Know The Way To San Jose"
7. Kosaka Tadashi and Jim O'Rourke "Don't Make Me Over"
8. Koike Mitsuko "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head"
9. Yoshimi "I Say A Little Prayer"
10. Jim O'Rourke "Trains And Boats And Planes"
11. Donna Taylor "Walk On By"