Jay Z Producer Denies Wrongdoing in Alleged Extortion Case

Jay Z Producer Denies Wrongdoing in Alleged Extortion Case
Photo: Tom Pandi
Yesterday (April 21), we learned that Jay Z was at the centre of an extortion case, with producer Chauncey Mahan allegedly trying to sell a trove of recordings made between 1998 and 2002. Now, Mahan has spoken on the matter and denied any wrongdoing.

He told TMZ that Def Jam had asked him to keep track of the recordings, which are for the albums Vol. 3… Life and Times of S. Carter (1999) and The Dynasty: Roc La Familia (2000). At the time, he says, Jay Z was "a stupid kid smoking blunts." Since then, he claims to have repeatedly told Hova's people that he had the masters, only to be rebuffed.

Mahan eventually asked for $100,000 last week due to the ongoing storage costs for the recordings and as compensation keeping the recordings safe. Somewhat surprisingly, he says that some of the masters aren't very good.

Mahan has handed over the tapes to the police until ownership can be determined. As of yesterday, he hadn't been arrested, but he was being investigated for possible extortion while Jay Z's reps had filed a grand larceny complaint.

Meanwhile, Jay Z producer Just Blaze weighed in by mocking Mahan in a series of tweets. He accused Mahan of incompetency, saying that he had accidentally mixed in mono, ruined tape transfers, attempted to start fights and more. He further clarified by Mahan's role was as engineer, not producer and claimed that he had digital backups of all the masters in question.

Read the Twitter spree below.