Published Oct 25, 2010Last month, we reported that CBC Radio 2 had recruited Hannah Georgas, Two Hours Traffic and more to pen songs about 13 different Canadian roads, one in each province. The project, known as the Great Canadian Song Quest, allowed fans to vote on which roads would be immortalized in song. Now, the CBC has officially released the tracks.
The voting ended on October 1, meaning that all 13 songs were written, recorded and released in just three weeks. You can purchase the tunes from iTunes and listen to 30-second samples right here. Check out the full tracklist below, which includes the titles, as well as the roads that inspired the lyrics.
All 13 artists will perform their songs live at Toronto's Glenn Gould Studio on Tuesday (October 26). If you can't make it out to the Great Canadian Song Quest Concert in person, the show will be broadcast live on CBC Radio 2 starting at 8 p.m. EST on that evening.
CBC Radio 2's Great Canadian Song Quest:
1. Hannah Georgas - "Drive" (Freedom Highway, BC)
2. Coeur de Pirate - "La Reine" (Queen Street, Sherbrooke, QC)
3. Jully Black - "At The Roncies" (Roncesvalles Ave., Toronto, ON)
4. Keri Latimer - "Mountain Road" (Mountain Road, off the Yellowhead Highway, MB)
5. Corb Lund - "The West Just Fades Away" (Highway 22, the Cowboy Trail, AB)
6. Hopeful Monster - "End of Road (Can't Believe It's Over Now)" (No. 1 Highway in NS)
7. Chris Kirby - "Free Man" (Viking Trail, NL)
8. Jason Plumb - "Red Coat Trail" (Highway 13, SK)
9. Thom Swift - "Take a Drive" (Saint John River Scenic Route, NB)
10. Two Hours Traffic - "Great Migration" (Dixon Road, PEI)
11. Brandon Isaak - "My Home Town" (Alaska Highway, YT)
12. Madeleine Allakariallak - "Highway Free" (Road to Nowhere, NU)
13. Leela Gilday - "Safe Passage" (The Deh Cho/Mackenzie River, NT)