Published Jul 22, 2014Franz Ferdinand are becoming the latest in a long line of acts to assemble some of their favourite songs for a LateNightTales compilation. Their contribution is due out on September 15.
As always with the LateNightTales compilations, these tunes are designed for nocturnal listening. Artists who Franz Ferdinand have selected include Boards of Canada, Paul McCartney & Wings, Can, Serge Gainsbourg, Oneohtrix Point Never, James Brown, Ian Dury, Lee "Scratch" Perry and more.
There is also one original contribution from Franz Ferdinand: a cover of Jonathan Halper's "Leaving My Old Life Behind." Additionally, frontman Alex Kapranos has his own spoken word cut called "Defibrillator." See the tracklist below, and get a taste of the music by scroling down to check out a sampler video for this compilation.
Franz's Paul Thomson said this in a statement:
When we first got the band together I made Alex a tape for his car, an old Merc estate that we spent a lot of time in, going to and from rehearsal spaces and gigs. All of our gear and the four of us could (almost) comfortably fit inside. It was all stuff I was listening to at the time, Dr Alimantado, Judas Priest, Led Zeppelin, Plaid, Johnny Dangerous amongst others. An eclectic mix or completely random and disjointed depending on your outlook, it was representative of all our individual idiosyncrasies that merged to form the sound of the band, although I wasn't aware of this at the time. With this mix we tried to a similar thing, all of us selected the tunes, based on what we listen to on tour together and at home alone, any sustained moods or flows that occur are purely accidental. Oh yeah, the Merc estate got totalled and towed away with the tape still in the player.
1. Franz Ferdinand - "Leaving My Old Life Behind" (Jonathan Halper cover)
2. R. Stevie Moore - "I'm Only Sleeping"
3. The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - "Eighteen Is over the Hill"
4. Sandy Nelson - "Let There Be Drums"
5. Life Without Buildings - "New Town"
6. Can - "Connection"
7. The Liminanas - "The Darkside"
8. Ian Dury - "Reasons To Be Cheerful Part 3"
9. Disco Dub Band - "For the Love Of Money"
10. Zapp - "More Bounce to the Ounce"
11. Serge Gainsbourg - "Requiem Pour Un Con"
12. Lee "Scratch" Perry - "Disco Devil"
13. James Brown - "King Heroin"
14. Carrie Cleveland - "Love Will Set You Free"
15. Paul McCartney & Wings - "Nineteen Hundred & Eighty Five"
16. Boards of Canada - "Reach for the Dead"
17. Oneohtrix Point Never - "Zebra"
18. Justus Köhncke - "Old Man"
19. American Spring - "Sweet Mountain"
20. Alex Kapranos - "Defibrillator" (spoken word)