Published Mar 27, 2012If you're eating, we apologize for spoiling your appetite, as this one's a little gross. Psych pop heroes the Flaming Lips are gearing up to release their anticipated collaborative album, The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends, featuring the likes of Bon Iver, Yoko Ono, Ke$ha and Chris Martin, and the group are planning to infuse some editions of the record with the contributors' blood. Yes, their actual blood.
Which contributors, you ask? All of them.
"What I'm going to try to do -- and I'm collecting stuff for it as we speak -- is I'm going to try to make a record that has every person's blood in the record," Flaming Lips frontman Wayne Coyne told MTV Hive. "I don't have everybody's blood just yet, but I collected quite a few vials of blood and it's actually sitting in my refrigerator as we speak."
This means that more than a dozen famous musicians could have their DNA mixing and mingling on your record player.
"I'm going to try to take that same concept and put little bits of everybody's blood in the middle of this record," he explained. "Like a glass specimen thing."
Coyne refused to share exactly who had contributed their blood so far, but promised that he's got "some really fucking good ones." There's no word as to exactly how these blood-infused records will be sold, but he said they will be available to "interested rich Flaming Lips people."
We can't help but wonder if some of these will end up in the same place as those music-filled human skulls.
Read about The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends here. It will be out on April 21 for Record Store Day, though we doubt these will be the editions with the actual blood.
The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends
1. 2012 (ft. Ke$ha and Biz Markie)
2. Ashes In The Air (ft. Bon Iver)
3. Helping The Retarded To Know God (ft. Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros)
4. Supermoon Made Me Want To Pee (ft. Prefuse 73)
5. Children Of The Moon (ft. Tame Impala)
6. That Ain't My Trip (ft. Jim James of My Morning Jacket)
7. You, Man? Human? (ft. Nick Cave)
8. I'm Working At NASA On Acid (ft. Lightning Bolt)
9. Do It! (ft. Yoko Ono)
10. Is David Bowie Dying? (ft. Neon Indian)
11. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (ft. Erykah Badu)
12. Thunder Drops (ft. New Fumes)
13. I Don't Want You to Die (ft. Chris Martin of Coldplay)