Published Jun 09, 2010In the hysteria following Michael Jackson's death on June 25 of last year, fans were not permitted to visit the late singer's grave at Forest Lawn Memorial Park, located in Los Angeles suburb Glendale. Now, with the one-year anniversary of his death fast approaching, the cemetery is preparing to allow fans to pay their respects to the fallen King of Pop.
CBC reports that, on June 25, the cemetery will allow fans to come pay their respects at Jackson's resting place. How close people will be able to get to the grave isn't clear, although Sgt. Tom Lorenz of the Glendale police department said, "Basically, they will be viewing it from a distance."
Lorenz added that there will be no special permits issued for the event, meaning that the streets will be open as usual and any vendors attempting to sell memorabilia will be arrested.
Forest Lawn is hoping that, despite the high-profile occasion, it will be business as usual at the cemetery. Lorenz said, "We will be working closely with Forest Lawn to ensure the safety of those who want to pay their respects to Michael Jackson, while ensuring the safety of others who are coming to the cemetery to pay respect to their loved ones."
Of course, hoping for an orderly event might be wishful thinking. Forest Lawn's Hollywood Hills location recently hosted a metalheads' celebration for ex-Black Sabbath singer Ronnie James Dio, and Jackson's service promises to be much larger.
Meanwhile, the controversy surrounding Jackson's death is far from over. His physician, Dr. Conrad Murray, pleaded not guilty to manslaughter in April. According to coronary reports, Jackson died due to lethal levels of the anesthetic propofol.