Published Apr 30, 2014Celebrated songwriter JJ Cale sadly passed away last summer due to a heart attack, and now Eric Clapton and some friends are saying goodbye with a tribute album. The Breeze: An Appreciation of JJ Cale, which is credited to Eric Clapton & Friends, will be out on July 29 through Universal.
The release date is significant, since it's a year down to the week since Cale died on July 26, 2013. Also notable is the fact that a couple of Clapton's signature tunes, "After Midnight" and "Cocaine," were penned by Cale. They also made an album together, 2006's The Road to Escondido.
Clapton plays guitar on every song, and the "Friends" who appear here alongside him include Willie Nelson, Tom Petty, Mark Knopfler, John Mayer, Derek Trucks and Cale's wife Christine Lakeland.
See the 16-song tracklist below. The artist (or artists) who sings each song is listed in parentheses
"I would like people to tap into what JJ Cale did — that's the point," Clapton said in a statement. "I'm just the messenger; I've always felt that that's my job. I try to interpret things so that the public at large, or at least the people who listen to what I do, will become intrigued about where I got it from."
The Breeze: An Appreciation of JJ Cale:
1. Call Me the Breeze (Eric Clapton)
2. Rock and Roll Records (Eric Clapton & Tom Petty)
3. Someday (Mark Knopfler)
4. Lies (John Mayer & Eric Clapton)
5. Sensitive Kind (Don White)
6. Cajun Moon (Eric Clapton)
7. Magnolia (John Mayer)
8. I Got the Same Old Blues (Tom Petty & Eric Clapton)
9. Songbird (Willie Nelson & Eric Clapton)
10. Since You Said Goodbye (Eric Clapton)
11. I'll Be There (If You Ever Want Me) (Don White & Eric Clapton)
12. The Old Man And Me (Tom Petty)
13. Train to Nowhere (Mark Knopfler, Don White & Eric Clapton)
14. Starbound (Willie Nelson)
15. Don't Wait (Vocals Eric Clapton & John Mayer)
16. Crying Eyes (Vocals Eric Clapton & Christine Lakeland)