Published Jan 10, 2012In the past decade-and-a-half-plus, the charity War Child has recruited big names for a number of high-profile benefit albums. Soon, music fans are going to have another chance to assist War Child in their efforts to help kids in war-torn areas, as Impressionable Youth Media will be bringing us the compilation Sound Affects, which will be released on January 31 with an Exclaim!-sponsored show at Toronto's El Mocambo.
Among the artists who contributed to this all-Canadian compilation are the Elwins, the Stanfields, In-Flight Safety (doing an Inbreds cover), Will Currie and the Country French and Hands & Teeth. A press release notes that these acts (and others) offered up "cover songs, rarities, unreleased and never before heard material" for the cause. Stream the entire collection at the bottom of this page.
Sound Affects was founded by five students from Ryerson University, and the project has gathered momentum over the past year-and-a-half. Learn more about the minds behind the operation here. Some of the songs were recorded at Ryerson, while others were submitted to the project from elsewhere.
On January 31, compilation contributors Brett Caswell, the Sweet Mack, Alright Alright and the Elwins will launch Sound Affects with a show at the El Mocambo in Toronto. Tickets are $10, and 100% percent of the proceeds from the door and album sales will go to War Child Canada.
1. Wildlife - "A Year in the Dark"
2. In-Flight Safety - "Any Sense of Time" (Inbreds cover)
3. Kodie Rollan - "Teach Me How to Dance"
4. The Sweet Mack - "Manic Attitude"
5. The Danger Bees - "Don't Be a Devil"
6. Y Shaws - "Damn Already"
7. The Stanfields - "Brightest Red to Blue"
8. The Elwins - "Stuck in the Middle"
9. Will Currie and the Country French - "RKO General"
10. Alright Alright - "Put Your Head On My Shoulder" (Paul Anka cover)
11. Hands & Teeth - "Help Me"
12. Brett Caswell - "Come Home Soon"
Sound Effects by Exclaim!