Published Nov 30, 2012Quentin Tarantino's upcoming Western Django Unchained is set to hit screens this Christmas, but you'll be able to pump yourselves up earlier for the flick when the official soundtrack hits retailers December 18.
Like Tarantino's films themselves, his soundtracks, from the RZA-curated Kill Bill volumes to the funky Reservoir Dogs LP, have become equally celebrated. This latest set pairs previously released selections from Italian screen composers Ennio Morricone and Riz Ortolani with new material from John Legend and Anthony Hamilton, along with older selections from Jim Croce and Brother Dege. Also being offered up is a previously unreleased remix of James Brown's "The Payback," which include a posthumous verse from 2Pac.
In addition, a new trailer for the film features a sample of Rick Ross' soundtrack contribution, the previously unreleased tune "100 Black Coffins." The minimalist outing from the Bawse lines up nicely with clips of bounty hunter Django (played by Jamie Foxx) sending people to the grave in a hail of gunfire. You can also stream the song in full below at the bottom of the page.
While a press release for the set found Tarantino praising the contemporary artists for their contributions, he also brought up that many of the older tracks were selected from his personal vinyl collection and are preserved as is.
"Instead of having the record companies give me new digitally cleaned-up versions of these recordings from the 60's and 70's," he said, "I wanted to use the vinyl I've been listening to for years — complete with all the pops and cracks. I even kept the sound of the needle being put down on the record. Basically because I wanted people's experience to be the same as mine when they hear this soundtrack for the first time."
2. Luis Bacalov, Rocky Roberts "Django (Main Theme)"
3. Ennio Morricone "The Braying Mule"
4. "In That Case, Django, After You..."
5. Luis Bacalov, Edda Dell'orso "Lo Chiamavano King (His Name Is King)"
6. Anthony Hamilton & Elayna Boynton "Freedom"
7. "FiveThousandDollar Nigga's And Gummy Mouth Bitches"
8. Luis Bacalov "La Corsa (2nd Version)"
9. "Sneaky Schultz and the Demise of Sharp"
10. Jim Croce "I Got a Name"
11. Riz Ortolani "I Giorni Dell'ira"
12. Rick Ross "100 Black Coffins"
13. Jerry Goldsmith featuring Pat Metheny "Nicaragua"
14. "Hildi's Hot Box"
15. Ennio Morricone "Sister Sara's Theme"
16. Ennio Morricone and Elsa "Ancora Qui"
17. James Brown and 2Pac "Unchained (The Payback/Untouchable)"
18. John Legend "Who Did That To You?"
19. Brother Dege "Too Old to Die Young"
20. "Stephen The Poker Player"
21. Ennio Morricone "Un Monumento"
22. "Six Shots Two Guns"
23. Annibale E i Cantori Moderni "Trinity (Titoli)"