Published Oct 19, 2011Back in March, we learned of the upcoming Please, Please, Please: A Tribute to the Smiths compilation, but the tracklisting and release info was spotty at best. It may have touted appearances from Built to Spill's Doug Martsch and ex-belly leader Tanya Donelly (performing "Reel Around the Fountain" and "Shoplifters of the World Unite," respectively), artists like the Vivian Girls' Katy Goodman had yet to select their songs. Well, the compilation has now been finalized and is set for release on December 13.
The official tracklisting confirms that Goodman will tackle the English quartet's rollicking "What She Said," along with previously announced covers versions from Sixpence None the Richer and the Wedding Present. Newer acts like Seattle popsters Telekinesis have also been added to the collection, whose tracklisting you can see below.
What's perhaps most exciting about the release, which will be handled by the American Laundromat imprint, is that the label has announced a bonus seven-inch will contain three more covers, as performed by Canadian faves Stars, as well as C'est La Mort and the Caulfield Sisters. Stars superfans should take note, however, that their tributary track previously appeared on the limited-edition seven-inch box set of their 2010 album The Five Ghosts.
Pre-orders are being taken now for the tribute set over here. One bundle packages the CD with a one-inch button, while another pairs the CD with the seven-inch, the pin, and a download of the extra tunes. An extra-special deluxe version plies all of that with a T-shirt and a "private preview of the album."
Thanks to Slicing Up Eyeballs for the tip.
Please, Please, Please: A Tribute to the Smiths
1. Kitten "Panic"
2. The Rest "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before"
3. Joy Zipper "What Difference Does It Make?"
4. Tanya Donelly w/ Dylan in the Movies "Shoplifters Of The World Unite"
5. William Fitzsimmons "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want"
6. Sixpence None the Richer "I Won't Share You"
7. Sara Lov "Well I Wonder"
8. Greg Laswell "Half A Person"
9. Dala "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me"
10. Chikita Violenta "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others"
11. Telekinesis "Sheila Take A Bow"
12. Solvents "Is It Really So Strange?"
13. The Wedding Present "Hand In Glove"
14. Mike Viola and The Section Quartet "How Soon Is Now?"
15. Trespassers William "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out"
16. Girl in a Coma "Rubber Ring"
17. Elk City "I Know It's Over"
18. Katy Goodman (La Sera, Vivian Girls) "What She Said"
19. Cinerama "London"
20. Doug Martsch (Built To Spill) "Reel Around the Fountain"
1. Stars "Asleep"
2. C'est la Mort "Girl Afraid"
3. The Caulfield Sisters "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want"