Published Jan 23, 2012Although David Byrne hasn't given us a proper new solo album in some time, the Talking Heads legend has kept his output steady with collaborations, soundtracks, compilation appearances and concert recordings. In the coming months, this trend will continue, as Byrne will release a live record and a book.
On March 13, Byrne and Tropicália pioneer Caetano Veloso will release Live at Carnegie Hall via Nonesuch. This collaborative performance was recorded way back in 2004 and was originally broadcast on NPR. For this acoustic set, the musicians were accompanied by a cellist and a percussionist. They each played a selection of solo songs, plus some joint numbers. See the tracklist below.
Byrne said of the show in a statement, "I was incredibly nervous, and I remember having flubbed on a chord or two (some of those remain on this recording, I'm afraid) ... but of course it was Caetano, and Carnegie Hall, so I was also incredibly thrilled and flattered."
You can pre-order a copy of the release here.
Pitchfork points out that Byrne is also getting ready to release a new non-fiction book called How Music Works, which will be out on March 1 via McSweeney's.
According to a statement from the publisher, the writer "takes on the role of musical historian and anthropologist as he dissects how, exactly, music has been shaped through time and place."
Pre-order a copy here.
Live at Carnegie Hall:
1. "Desde Que o Samba é Samba" (Caetano Veloso)
2. "Você é Linda" (Caetano Veloso)
3. "Sampa" (Caetano Veloso)
4. "O Leãozinho" (Caetano Veloso)
5. "Coração Vagabundo" (Caetano Veloso)
6. "Manhatã" (Caetano Veloso)
7. "The Revolution" (Caetano Veloso and David Byrne)
8. "Everyone's in Love With You" (David Byrne)
9. "And She Was" (David Byrne)
10. "She Only Sleeps" (David Byrne)
11. "Life During Wartime" (David Byrne)
12. "God's Child" (David Byrne)
13. "Road to Nowhere" (David Byrne)
14. "Dreamworld: Marco de Canaveses" (Caetano Veloso and David Byrne)
15. "Um Canto de Afoxé para o Bloco do Ilê" (Caetano Veloso and David Byrne)
16. "(Nothing But) Flowers" (Caetano Veloso and David Byrne)
17. "Terra" (Caetano Veloso)
18. "Heaven" (Caetano Veloso and David Byrne)