Published Aug 30, 2011We recently learned that Damon Albarn had headed down to the Democratic Republic of Congo for a week to record an album, and within four days, we had the groove-laden "Hallo." Just over a month later, Albarn and his cast of collaborators have formally announced that the full sessions will be released this fall.
The project, which also includes XL Recordings head Richard Russell, Dan the Automator, Actress, Kwes, T-E-E-D (Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs), Jneiro Jarel, Marc Antoine, Alwest, Remi Kabaka and Rodaidh McDonald, will be billed as DRC Music. The outfit's debut is called Kinshasa One Two and Warp will issue it digitally on October 4 and physically on November 8 in North America.
The 14-song set, recorded over the course of five days in the capital city of Kinshasa, also features a number of musicians from the region. You can check the details below, where you'll also find a trailer montage of all of the musicians collaborating in recording studios and on the streets.
You can also check out album tracks "Ah Congo," "Lingala" and the previously revealed "Hallo" in the SoundCloud player at the bottom of the page.
Proceeds from album sales will go to Oxfam to help relief efforts in the region.
"Every day in DRC there are hundreds of thousands of people who need Oxfam's support to access education, clean water, sanitation and basic hygiene," Oxfam's DRC country director Pauline Ballaman said in a statement. "The situation here has been out of the media spotlight for too long. Not only will DRC Music shine a light on the incredible musical talent coming out of the country, it will raise much needed funds for Oxfam's invaluable work here and focus the world's attention on Congo once again, seeing it as a place of inspiration, creativity and hope."
Kinshasa One Two:
1. "Hallo" (ft. Tout Puissant Mukalo and Nelly Liyemge)
2. "K-Town" (ft. N'Gotshima and Bebson)
3. "African Space Anthem" (A.S.A) (ft. Ewing Sima of Tout Puissant Mukalo)
4. "Love" (ft. Love)
5. "Lingala" (ft. Bokatola System and Evala Litongo)
6. "Lourds" (ft. Yende Bongongo of Okwess International)
7. "Respect of the Rules" (ft. Loi X Liberal)
8. "We Come From the Forest" (ft. Bokatola System)
9. "Customs" (ft. Bokatola System)
10. "Virginia" (ft. Magakala Virginia Yollande and Yowa Hollande)
11. "Ah Congo" (ft. Jupiter Bokondji and Bokatola System)
12. "Three Piece Sweet part 1&2" (ft. Bebson)
13. "If You Wish to Stay Awake" (ft. Washiba)
14. "Departure" (ft. Bokatola System)
DRC Music - Kinshasa One Two (see http://drcmusic.org ) by DRC Music