Published Feb 07, 2011Montreal-based saxophonist Colin Stetson has worked as a session player with everyone from Laurie Anderson and Tom Waits to TV on the Radio and Bon Iver. Until now, however, his best-kept secret has been his forward-thinking solo work. He already has one solo album under his belt, and now he will follow it up with his Constellation Records debut.
The album is called New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges, and according to a press release, it ably demonstrates his "polyphonic solo music that combines influences as diverse as Bach, early metal, American pre-war Gospel and the explorations of Jimi Hendrix, Peter Brotzman and Albert Ayler." Further evidence of that style is demonstrated in the album's lead single "The Righteous Wrath of an Honorable Man," which can be streamed below in all its busy, frenetic glory.
New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges will be released on February 22 via Constellation. The album was recorded with no overdubs and features guest appearances from Laurie Anderson and Shara Worden. The "Righteous Wrath" single is also available now as a seven-inch here.
New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges:
1. "Awake On Foreign Shores"
3. "The Stars In His Head" (Dark Lights remix)
4. "All The Days I've Missed You (ILAIJ I)"
5. "From No Part Of Me Could I Summon A Voice"
6. "A Dream Of Water"
8. "Lord I Just Can't Keep From Crying Sometimes"
9. "Clothed In The Skin Of The Dead"
10. "All The Colors Bleached To White (ILAIJ II)"
11. "Red Horse (Judges ll)"
12. "The Righteous Wrath Of An Honorable Man"
13. "Fear Of The Unknown And The Blazing Sun"
14. "In Love And In Justice"
The righteous wrath of an honorable man by Constellation Records