Published Sep 10, 2010In recent months, Broken Social Scene have developed a taste for the movies. First, they unveiled This Movie Is Broken, and then they contributed to Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Then, just yesterday, we learned that Brendan Canning scored the latest Bruce McDonald flick, Trigger. Now, it turns out that the band have written the score for the upcoming It's Kind of a Funny Story.
As well as reportedly contributing instrumental music to the film, the band have offered up a brand new song (with vocals), "Not at My Best," for the soundtrack. Additionally, the album contains B-side "Major Label Debut (Fast)." A piece of the score entitled "Sweet Number One" will be an iTunes bonus track.
Other artists that appear on the soundtrack include Pink Mountaintops, Mayer Hawthorne, Method Man and Redman. See the tracklist below. The soundtrack will come out on Rhino on September 28, with the movie's theatrical release following October 8.
The film is a drama/comedy about a mental hospital that stars Keir Gilchrist, Zach Galifianakis and Emma Roberts. See a trailer embedded at the bottom of the page and keep an ear out for Broken Social Scene.
Thanks to Pitchfork for the heads up.
It's Kind of a Funny Story: Music from the Motion Picture:
1. Broken Social Scene - "Not at My Best"
2. The Damned - "Smash It Up"
3. The Wowz - "Happy Today"
4. White Hinterland - "Icarus"
5. Elden Calder - "Where You Go"
6. Mayer Hawthorne - "The Ills"
7. Method Man and Redman - "Da Rockwilder"
8. Pink Mountaintops - "Tourist in Your Town"
9. Maxence Cyrin - "Where Is My Mind"
10. The Middle East - "Blood"
11. Little Denise - "Check Me Out"
12. Rachid Taha - "Habina"
13. Broken Social Scene - "Major Label Debut (Fast)"
14. Broken Social Scene - "Sweet Number One" (iTunes bonus track)