Published Jan 14, 2011Blue Valentine documents the plight of a doomed marriage between Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams, including everything from their first romances to their desperate sexual encounters as they try to save the relationship. If there's one band fit to soundtrack an awkward, heart-breaking copulation, it's Grizzly Bear. We've known they were involved with the film for over a year, but we've now caught word of an official release date and tracklisting for the album.
The Playlist reports that "the band were originally meant to write new music for the project, but when the start date was pushed, they ran out of time." Instead, the film received instrumental versions of Grizzly Bear tracks like "Easier," "Lullabye," "Dory" and many others, as well as a choir version of the band's "Alligator" featuring Beirut's Zach Condon and the Dirty Projectors' Dave Longstreth and Amber Coffman.
As seen below, the soundtrack also features Ryan Gosling's "You Always Hurt the Ones You Love" and Penny & the Quarters' "You and Me." It's not quite as sprawling as the list of songs that appear in the film, but it's an impressive collection no less.
Lakeshore Records will release the Blue Valentine album on February 1.
Blue Valentine OST:
1. Grizzly Bear "Granny Dinner"
2. Department of Eagles "In Ear Park"
3. Grizzly Bear "Easier (Instrumental)"
4. Grizzly Bear "Lullabye (Instrumental)"
5. Grizzly Bear "I Live With You (Instrumental)"
6. Grizzly Bear "Foreground (Instrumental)"
7. Grizzly Bear "Dory (Instrumental)"
8. Ryan Gosling "You Always Hurt the Ones You Love"
9. Penny & the Quarters "You and Me"
10. Grizzly Bear "Shift (Alternate Version)"
11. Grizzly Bear "Alligator [ft. Zach Condon, Dave Longstreth & Amber Coffman] (Choir Version)"
12. Grizzly Bear "Easier"
13. Grizzly Bear "Lullaby"
14. Grizzly Bear "I Live With You"
15. Grizzly Bear "Foreground"