Published Jun 01, 2012The Black Keys sure are successful these days. Not only are they headlining arenas and receiving their own documentary, but the Akron, OH-based blues rock duo are receiving their very own tribute album. Entitled Black on Blues, it's due out July 17 via Cleopatra Records.
The biggest names on board are Iggy Pop and Cream/Blind Faith drummer Ginger Baker, who teamed up to cover the single "Lonely Boy," plus the Kinks' Dave Davies, who covered "Money Maker" with Huw Lloyd-Langton.
Most of the artists involved are quite a bit older than the Black Keys, and other contributors include Pat Travers (covering "Everlasting Light"), Walter Trout, Tab Benoit, Mountain's Leslie West, Albert Lee and Gregg Allman's son Devon.
Listen to Iggy and Baker's cover of "Lonely Boy" below, which remains faithful to the original while giving it a hint of stripped-down, scrappy charm. Scroll past the tracklist to check it out.
Pre-order a vinyl copy of the tribute collection here.
Thanks to Antiquiet for the tip.
Black on Blues: A Tribute to the Black Keys:
1. Iggy Pop & Ginger Baker - "Lonely Boy"
2. Walter Trout - "Tighten Up"
3. Mike Zito & Cyril Neville - "Girl Is on My Mind"
4. Tab Benoit - "Gold on the Ceiling"
5. Leslie West - "I Got Mine"
6. Papa Mali - "When the Lights Go Out"
7. Oli Brown Band - "Next Girl"
8. Dave Davies & Huw Lloyd-Langton - "Money Maker"
9. Albert Lee - "Howlin for You"
10. Pat Travers - "Everlasting Light"
11. Larry McCray - "Chop and Change"
12. Devon Allman & Mani Neumeier - "Little Black Submarines"