Published Feb 24, 2011Cover songs are hardly anything new, but the soundtrack for upcoming action flick Sucker Punch is hoping to get listeners' attention with some interesting re-tweaks of some older rock classics. While not a direct reworking, the film itself, directed by Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen), is described as "Alice in Wonderland with machine guns," following the story of a girl who escapes her life in an institution by dreaming up a fantasy land made up of bombs and fire-breathing dragons. The soundtrack's cover song aesthetic posits to re-imagine some classics with just as much whimsy as Sucker Punch's lead character.
The record brings out some big guns, with Björk offering up her previously released redo of the 1995 hit "Army of Me" with Skunk Anansie. Another sonic uppercut comes from the Kills' frontwoman Alison Mosshart and Autolux's Carla Azar, who duet on the Beatles' tripped-out "Tomorrow Never Knows."
The movie cast gets into the action as well, with lead Emily Browning tackling the Eurythmics' "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)." Actors Carla Gugino and Oscar Isaac also collaborate on a version of Roxy Music's "Love Is the Drug." You can check out the tracklisting below.
Sucker Punch: The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack will be released March 22 via WaterTower Music. The movie itself will hit theatres on March 25.
Thanks to TwentyFourBit for the tip.
Sucker Punch: The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack:
1. Emily Browning "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)"
2. Björk featuring Skunk Anansie "Army Of Me" (Sucker Punch Remix)
3. Emiliana Torrini "White Rabbit"
4. Queen w/ Armageddon Aka Geddy "I Want It All/We Will Rock You Mash-Up"
5. Skunk Anansie "Search And Destroy"
6. Alison Mosshart and Carla Azar "Tomorrow Never Knows"
7. Yoav featuring Emily Browning "Where Is My Mind?"
8. Emily Browning "Asleep"
9. Carla Gugino and Oscar Isaac "Love Is The Drug"