Published Aug 03, 2007Back in April, Exclaim! reported that a group of indie labels were joining forces to present a "Now That's What I Call Music" type of compilation to capitalise on the popularity of indie rock. Details have now been announced for the first in the series now called This is NEXT.
Also inspired by the success of 2004's soundtrack for the film Garden State, This is NEXT is set to be released on August 21 and from there bi-annually by different labels in distributor ADA's family.
The first in the series will be released by VICE (which oddly enough, is owned by Warner - funny that), and will feature a number of songs from recent chart successes that you likely already own and know well... but of course, this compilation likely isn't designed for you, now is it?
ADA president Andy Allen explains he compilation as a way to represent the breakthroughs these particular bands have had, saying: "Indie music has entered the mainstream. Hollywood and Madison Avenue are increasingly using tracks from indie artists in their projects, and you hear indie artists regularly in TV shows. This is NEXT features the best music from the indie community."
Here's the tracklisting:
1. Bloc Party - The Prayer
2. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Cheated Hearts
3. Sonic Youth - Do You Believe In Rapture?
4. The Shins - Phantom Limb
5. Spoon - The Underdog
6. Bright Eyes - Four Winds
7. Cat Power - Lived In Bars
8. Neko Case - Hold On, Hold On
9. Of Montreal - Heimdalsgate Like A Promethean Curse
10. Deerhoof - The Perfect Me
11. The Hold Steady - Chips Ahoy!
12. Cold War Kids - Hang Me Up To Dry
13. Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - Colleen
14. M. Ward - Chinese Translation
15. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! - Satan Said Dance