Doctors Warn of a Deadly Wind Instrument Hazard Called "Bagpipe Lung"

Doctors Warn of a Deadly Wind Instrument Hazard Called "Bagpipe Lung"
We've always thought of bagpipes as being rather sinister instruments, but it turns out they can cause far more harm than just bad taste. A man who died in 2014 by mysterious causes has now been posthumously diagnosed with a serious malady known as "bagpipe lung."

As the BBC reports, the UK doctors' journal Thorax revealed that the 61-year-old man died from a build-up of fungi and mould that was festering from deep within his bagpipes.

Doctors are now urging musicians to keep their instruments clean in an effort to avoid a build-up of harmful pathogens in their instruments.

The man was an avid bagpiper who practised his instrument every day. He had lung problems for years, though they would subside whenever he'd go on vacation and leave his bagpipes at home.

The doctors have also suggested that similar fungal growths can happen in instruments like the saxophone and the trombone.