Published Mar 19, 2009After a good three years of anticipation, Animal Collective are finally delivering their long-promised three-LP box set. This week, the band's one-time label home, Catsup Plate, gave the heads-up that the collection of early live material will be out "within the next four to six weeks, if all goes well," and in fact, is even giving hardcore fans a chance to grab a copy right now.
On Wednesday (March 18), Catsup Plate kicked off a pre-sale of sorts, with the label auctioning off a test pressing of Animal Crack Box on eBay. It's housed in the same box as the "commercial" version and will play as a normal record. However, this copy will stand as a one of a kind item and 100 percent of the sale proceeds will go to the humanitarian organization Doctors Without Borders. At press time, the set is going for about $100, but there are still six days left of bidding.
And while the retail versions of the vinyl-only box set won't be as rare as the test pressings, they're still going to be hard to come by. Only 1,000 copies will be pressed and those will exclusively be sold through Fusetron. So if you even want a shot a grabbing a copy, you may want to get on the company's mailing list pronto.
Or if you would rather snap up that test pressing, you can bid right over here.
These are the tracks in store for Animal Crack Box:
A1. "Jimmy Raven"
A2. "Ahhh Good Country"
A3. "Iko Ovo"
B1. "Pumpkin Gets a Snakebite"
B2. "Pumpkin's Hallucination"
B3. "Pumpkin's Funeral"
C1. "Jungle Heat"
C2. "Hey Friend"
C3. "De Soto De Son"
D1. "Oh Sweet"
D2. "Young Prayer #2"
D3. "Do the Nurse"
E1. "Ice Cream Factory"
E2. "Hey Light"
E3. "Two Sails"
F1. "Don't Believe the Pilot"
F2. "Who Could Win a Rabbit"
F3. "Mouth Wooed Her"
F4. "Covered in Frogs"
F5. "We Tigers"
- A1 and A2 recorded live to MiniDisc 18 September 2000 at the Cooler, NYC by Avey/Panda. A3 recorded live to MiniDisc fall 2000 at N. 4th Practice Space, Brooklyn by Avey/Panda.
- B1 and B3 recorded live to MiniDisc February 2001 at N. 4th Practice Space, Brooklyn by Avey/Panda/Geologist. B2 recorded live to MiniDisc 25 February 2001 at Mercury Lounge, NYC by Avey/Panda/Geologist.
- C1 and C2 recorded live to MiniDisc winter early 2001 at 67 Atlantic Ave, Brooklyn by Avey/Panda. C3 recorded live to MiniDisc August 2000 at Mercury Lounge, NYC by Avey/Panda.
- D1 partly recorded live to MiniDisc summer 2002 at N. 4th Practice Space, Brooklyn by Avey/Deakin and partly recorded live to MiniDisc 18 October 2002 at Warsaw, Brooklyn by Avey. D2 recorded live to MiniDisc fall 2002 at Bard College, NYC by Avey/Panda. D3 recorded live to MiniDisc 18 October 2002 at Warsaw, Brooklyn by Avey.
- E1 and E3 recorded live to MiniDisc March 2002 at Tonic, NYC by Avey/Panda/Geologist/Deakin. E2 recorded live to MiniDisc winter early 2002 at N. 4th Practice Space, Brooklyn by Avey/Panda/Geologist/Deakin.
- F1 and F2 recorded live to MiniDisc July 2003 at New World Brewery, Tampa, FL by Avey/Panda. F3 recorded live to MiniDisc June 2003 at a house party in Brooklyn by Avey/Panda. F4 recorded live to MiniDisc sometime and somewhere in 2003 (recording details are lost) by Avey/Panda. F5 recorded live to MiniDisc October 2003 at Concorde 2, Brighton, UK by Avey/Panda.