Published May 11, 2009All right Animal Collective freaks, it's finally here. Today, the band's long-promised and long overdue 3LP box set Animal Crack Box went up for sale via Fusetron, the exclusive retailer selling these soon-to-be-impossible-to-find items.
As previously reported, the vinyl-only box features an array of Animal Collective recordings spanning from 2000 to 2003 and is being released by Catsup Plate. All the tracks were recorded live at practise sessions and in other non-studio environs, and most have never been previously released in any form whatsoever.
According to Fusetron's item description: "Each record jacket is silkscreened in four overprinted colors and housed in a super sturdy four overprinted color silkscreened outer slipcase held together by a two color silkscreened 'obi' strip. This thing is a 12 x 12 brick. The recording selections were overseen by Animal Collective themselves, who poured over hundreds of hours of tapes to come up with this tracklisting. The Hieronymus-Bosch-meets-the-early-Looney-Tunes-work-of-Max-Fleischer illustrations were drawn by Jon Vermilyea and the whole package was art directed and designed by Rob Carmichael. This is a single edition of 1,000 copies, with no digital or CD version planned."
You catch that? Only 1,000 copies, folks. So if you want one, you better click here pronto or forget you ever saw this.
These are the tracks on Animal Crack Box:
A1. "Jimmy Raven"
A2. "Ahhh Good Country"
A3. "Iko Ovo"
B1. "Pumpkin Gets a Snakebite"
B2. "Pumpkin's Hallucination"
B3. "Pumpkin's Funeral"
C1. "Jungle Heat"
C2. "Hey Friend"
C3. "De Soto De Son"
D1. "Oh Sweet"
D2. "Young Prayer #2"
D3. "Do the Nurse"
E1. "Ice Cream Factory"
E2. "Hey Light"
E3. "Two Sails"
F1. "Don't Believe the Pilot"
F2. "Who Could Win a Rabbit"
F3. "Mouth Wooed Her"
F4. "Covered in Frogs"
F5. "We Tigers"
- A1 and A2 recorded live to MiniDisc 18 September 2000 at the Cooler, NYC by Avey/Panda. A3 recorded live to MiniDisc fall 2000 at N. 4th Practice Space, Brooklyn by Avey/Panda.
- B1 and B3 recorded live to MiniDisc February 2001 at N. 4th Practice Space, Brooklyn by Avey/Panda/Geologist. B2 recorded live to MiniDisc 25 February 2001 at Mercury Lounge, NYC by Avey/Panda/Geologist.
- C1 and C2 recorded live to MiniDisc winter early 2001 at 67 Atlantic Ave, Brooklyn by Avey/Panda. C3 recorded live to MiniDisc August 2000 at Mercury Lounge, NYC by Avey/Panda.
- D1 partly recorded live to MiniDisc summer 2002 at N. 4th Practice Space, Brooklyn by Avey/Deakin and partly recorded live to MiniDisc 18 October 2002 at Warsaw, Brooklyn by Avey. D2 recorded live to MiniDisc fall 2002 at Bard College, NYC by Avey/Panda. D3 recorded live to MiniDisc 18 October 2002 at Warsaw, Brooklyn by Avey.
- E1 and E3 recorded live to MiniDisc March 2002 at Tonic, NYC by Avey/Panda/Geologist/Deakin. E2 recorded live to MiniDisc winter early 2002 at N. 4th Practice Space, Brooklyn by Avey/Panda/Geologist/Deakin.
- F1 and F2 recorded live to MiniDisc July 2003 at New World Brewery, Tampa, FL by Avey/Panda. F3 recorded live to MiniDisc June 2003 at a house party in Brooklyn by Avey/Panda. F4 recorded live to MiniDisc sometime and somewhere in 2003 (recording details are lost) by Avey/Panda. F5 recorded live to MiniDisc October 2003 at Concorde 2, Brighton, UK by Avey/Panda.