Published Mar 10, 2010Each year since 2008, music retailers have celebrated Record Store Day with special in-store performances and limited-edition releases from some of music's biggest names. This year, Record Store Day will fall on April 17, and it's shaping up to be a good one: we've already heard about Beach House's Zebra EP and Deerhoof's vinyl reissues.
Now, influential British label 4AD has jumped on board, announcing a new twelve-inch EP that compiles unheard songs from five artists on its roster. Entitled Fragments from a Work in Progress, it showcases unheard demos and teaser tracks from upcoming 4AD releases, including new 4AD signings Ariel Pink and Gang Gang Dance, as well as Tune-Yards and the Big Pink.
Perhaps the most intriguing track on the EP is the Blonde Redhead demo "Not Getting There," which is the first recording the eclectic outfit ever made. Scroll to the bottom of this page to see the tracklist.
Sub Pop will also be releasing a special Record Store Day compilation, a live CD called Casual Nostalgia Fest. Taped at the label's 20th anniversary festival in 2008, it brings together 19 Sub Pop acts, including Wolf Parade, the Vaselines, Iron & Wine, Constantines, Flight of the Conchords and many more. Profits will be donated to the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund. Check out the full tracklist below.
This compilation is only one of many releases the Seattle-based label is preparing for Record Store Day. Sub Pop will also be issuing:
- CocoRosie's "Lemonade" seven-inch, featuring a song from their upcoming album, plus a cover of the Beach Boys' 1963 classic "Surfer Girl."
- The Album Leaf's There Is a Wind twelve-inch, brining together two new songs with two alternate takes of songs from this year's A Chorus of Storytellers.
- A split seven-inch with one song apiece from Dum Dum Girls and Male Bonding (both of whom will be playing at L.A.'s Origami Records).
-A seven-inch with two unreleased tracks by garage pop newcomers Happy Birthday.
- A reissue of Soundgarden's 1987 debut single "Hunted Down"/ "Nothing to Say" on translucent orange vinyl.
Fragments from a Work Untiled:
A1: Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - "Menopause Man"
A2: Tune-Yards - "You Yes You"v B1: Blonde Redhead "Getting There"
B2: Gang Gang Dance "Slime City (Heaven)"
B3: The Big Pink - "With You"
Casual Nostalgia Fest:
1. Green River - "Leech"
2. Wolf Parade - "Fine Young Cannibals"
3. The Vaselines - "Dying for It"
4. Obits - "Run"
5. Les Thugs- "Dirty White Race"
6. Eric's Trip - "Smother"
7. Beachwood Sparks - "You Take the Gold"
8. Blitzen Trapper - "Furr"
9. Flight of the Conchords - "Carol Brown"
10. Iron & Wine - "Woman King"
11. Constantines - "Why I Didn't Like August '93"
12. Seaweed - "Baggage"
13. Grand Archives - "Dig That Crazy Grave"
14. Low - "Silver Rider"
15. The Helio Sequence - "Lately"
16. Kinski - "The Wives of Artie Shaw"
17. Pissed Jeans - "Caught Licking Leather"
18. Mudhoney - "The Open Mind"