Published Feb 25, 2009With A-Trak dropping mixtapes left, right and centre, it was only a matter of time until this production wiz got his very own Fabric mix. Well, apparently that time is now. News has come down that this Montreal-born, Brooklyn-based 26-year-old will helm the next edition of the prestigious series and release Fabriclive 45 on April 13 in the UK and here in North America on May 5.
In typical A-Trak fashion, this mix will be an eclectic one, featuring tracks such as Metronomy's electro-popping "Heartbreaker," Daft Punk's remix of "Mothership Reconnection" and Fan Death's "Veronica's Veil," along with contributions from the likes of old school garage star DJ Zinc, grimester Skepta and even some whooshing Balearica courtesy of Aeroplane.
In the words of A-Trak: "I mixed in some old, classic house records with some newer funk-loop house records that reference the old house records, mixed with some kooky, weird, Baltimore-ish club edits, mixed with some techno stuff, some slow disco and my own productions. If you see it on paper it looks like a whole mishmash but the way I put together the mix, it somehow comes together and makes sense."
The producer goes on to explain that he skipped the whole Ableton thing and instead relied on his old turntable skills on this one, attempting to bring his Fabric mix to life much like he would a live show. "I just looked at it really as a DJ mix," A-Trak explains. "The way that I bring the songs in and the way that I try to put my stamp on it, rocking doubles on some of the records and doing scratch routines and adding layers on top of my edits of the songs, that's what defines its identity. I wanted to let the mix itself do the talking."
As previously reported, A-Trak also has another new mix on the way for Thrive Records. That one is dubbed Infinity +1 and finds the Kanye collaborator getting back into his electro funk mode on April 14.
Here are the tracks that will appear on Fabriclive 45:
1. A-Trak - "Say Whoa"
2. DJ Sneak - "You Can't Hide From Your Bud"
3. Boys Noize - "Oh!" (A-Trak Remix)
4. Scott Grooves feat Parliament Funkadelic - "Mothership Reconnection" (Daft Punk Remix)
5. Voodoo Chilli - "Get On Down"
6. Skepta - "Sweet Mother" (House Version)
7. DJ Class - "I'm the Ish"
8. Metronomy - "Heartbreaker" (Diskjokke Remix)
9. His Majesty Andre - "Peep Thong"
10. Zombie Nation - "Forza" (Original)
11. Alex Gopher - "Aurora"
12. Dance Area - "AA 24-7"
13. Robbie Rivera - "Move Move" (DJ Observer & Daniel Heathcliff Remix)
14. Daniele Papini - "Church of Nonsense"
15. Laidback Luke & A-Trak - "Shake It Down"
16. Nacho Lovers - "Acid Life" (Nachos 909 Dub)
17. Rob Threezy - "The Chase"
18. Friendly Fires - "Paris" (Aeroplane Remix)
19. Fan Death - "Veronica's Veil" (Erol Alkan's Extended Re-Edit)
20. Simon Baker - "Plastik" (Todd Terje's Turkatech Remix)
21. The Martian - "Tobacco Ties"
22. DJ Gant-Man - "Juke Dat Girl From The Back"
23. DJ MP4 - "The Book Is On The Table"
24. Jamie Anderson & Content - "Body Jackin'"
25. Raffertie - "Do Dat"
26. DJ Zinc - "138 Trek"