'Star Wars' Production Company Faces Prosecution over Harrison Ford Injuries

'Star Wars' Production Company Faces Prosecution over Harrison Ford Injuries
Actors love being encouraged to "break a leg" before a big performance, but a production company that worked on Star Wars: The Force Awakens may have taken things one step too far when they actually caused Harrison Ford to break his leg. Now, the Disney subsidiary Foodles Production (UK) Ltd. is facing prosecution on four counts.

As the Independent reports, Ford suffered a broken leg and other injuries when a hydraulic metal door fell on him on set of the Millenium Falcon. The injury took place in June of 2014 at Pinewood Studios in London, England.

Now, the UK's Health and Safety Executive has told Foodles that they'll have to send representatives to court on May 12, where they'll face four charges over the incident.

In a statement, an HSE spokesperson said, "By law, employers must take reasonable steps to protect workers – this is as true on a film set as a factory floor. We have investigated thoroughly and believe that we have sufficient evidence to bring the case to court."

As the NME reports, Ford explained his injury in an interview on The Jonathan Ross Show last year. "Now we had lots of money and technology and so they built a fucking great hydraulic door which closed at light speed and somebody said, 'Ooh I wonder what this is?' And the door came down and hit me on my left hip because I was turned to my right," he recalled. "And then it flung my left leg up and it dislocated my ankle, and as it drove me down to the floor, my legs slapped on the ramp up to the Millennium Falcon and broke both bones in my left leg."

Production on The Force Awakens was delayed for eight weeks as a result of the injury.