Published Jul 10, 2019Evil Dead is about to be resurrected by creator Sam Raimi for a new movie — and it will feature original star Bruce Campbell if the director has his way.
The news comes directly via Raimi himself, who has revealed the new Evil Dead film is in its early stages of development.
"I'd love to make another one," Raimi told Bloody Disgusting. "I don't think TV is in its future but we're talking about — Bruce [Campbell], Rob [Tapert] and myself — one or two different ways to go for the next movie. We'd like to make another Evil Dead feature, and in fact, we're working on some ideas right now."
The news follows last year's cancellation of Ash vs. Evil Dead — the Evil Dead TV spinoff that was initially kickstarted by Raimi. The news also follows Campbell stating he was retiring from the role of Ash, in addition to the fact that the last Evil Dead reboot film came in 2013 from director Fede Álvarez.
"I would be thrilled if Bruce Campbell changed his mind about retirement, would come back for the original Evil Dead line," Raimi said. "But if not, I'm very happy to work with, if Fede [Álvarez] would come back and make the sequel… but he's such a big shot now. He's so successful, an artist in demand, that I don't think he'd want to do that."
It seems Raimi is so dead set on keeping Evil Dead alive, in fact, that he has an idea to keep the franchise going even without Campbell or Alvarez, though he's being very secretive about it.
"There's also a third possibility we're talking about," Raimi said, refusing to offering up any further details on what that possibility might be. He did promise, however, "I think you may see some action on the Evil Dead movie in the next six months."
So, yes, that means stay tuned.